Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting sheep  (Read 3894 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Transporting sheep
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »
I've found a couple of ewes I fancy that are about 100 miles away. 

What are the regulations about transporting them?  The DEFRA information isn't very clear: it seems to say I can't transport sheep more than 50km if it's an economic thing.  I may make money from the lambs I breed, so does that count as economic?  If I need a certificate of competence, where do I get one?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Transporting sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »
surely after all your costs you can't make a profit, therefore its a hobby and your exempt...

well that's the argument i would have used if anyone noticed me bringing my starter flock the 150 miles to its new home, best guess if i'm lucky it will take me 5 years to break even, even if i value the lamb i put in my own freezer at a premium price...

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:23 pm »
I recently looked into this in quite some detail (as I wanted to deliver 2 ram lambs from North Wales to South Lanarkshire - 270 miles).

I got a few good pointers from past posts on here (in particular this one), googled a bit further to find the actual DEFRA documents, and then called the Animal Transport office in Carlisle (or whatever they are, my local AH office sent me to them) to confirm.

The DEFRA guidance on transporter authorisations is here, and this also includes the information on who does not need an authorisation. This includes (quoting from doc above):
- not in the course of business or trade;
- not for hire or reward;
- consisting of a single animal accompanied by a person who has responsibility for its welfare (or two animals accompanied by two people)

You can argue what 'the course business or trade' might consist of (if your smallholding is a registered business not making a profit in the course of this particular transaction might not be a bombproof excuse). But the last point about specific animals being accompanied by an equal number of 'carers' should cover you fully if it's just a couple of ewes you want to move - the lady at the Defra office in Carlisle confirmed this to me specifically.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:46 pm »
I'm sure that a very large number of people break that law.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:17:37 pm »
When laws are crap a bit of breakage is inevitable.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 12:44:54 am »
Thanks that's very helpful.   :thumbsup:

I think I'll risk it with the two if they're still available after Christmas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS