Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The government are at it again.  (Read 7362 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: The government are at it again.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:07:26 pm »
Thankfully we have had enough grit to be able to get down our steep lane, but I did skid onto the B road at the bottom the other day!  The B road is sheet ice.  However, the school is open and I'm working as normal which I love.  I've spent most days clearing customers drive ways and chopping firewood for people.  Not quite gardening, but at least I'm out in this beautifulo weather.

However, i do feel for all those people struggling to get about and feed animals, keep water unfrozen e.t.c.  I think of Russ everyday when I'm at work wondering how he is getting on and there must be hundreds of others like him.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 07:15:23 pm »
everybody here seemed to get used to it today, the school taxi made it up the hill, I'm getting used to not going anywhere, the coalman made it (moaning a bit though) and it has to end at some point... :&>

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »
Ah brilliant at least you can toasty warm now.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »
I feel cheated me and my sister have to go to school tomorrow, and my Mum, who works in the primary 2miles from us if off, after an 11 hour drive its the last thing i want an hour on a C****Y stagecoach double decker

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26:26 pm »
in the second you have to ask people to get you supplies from milk to booze,
The essentials!  ;D ;D booze lol
I saw on the news last nite that a school was closed because they didnt want to force their teachers to travel in these conditions and get hurt, because they may sue the school!

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »
After reading through this thread, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "Winter Tyres" or "Snow Chains"! They really make an amazing difference when driving on ice and snow and work really well with any two wheel drive vehicle as I have. In Sweden, it's illegal to drive without snowchains in winter (correct me please if I'm wrong). I will admit that they can be expensive between 100 and 150 pounds for a set, but you wont get stuck easily and make driving in ice and snow a lot safer than with normal tyres, meaning less carnage on the roads. OK, we don't see this kind of weather too often and chains might sit in your garage or shed for a couple of years without being used. If every road user had chains or at least changed to winter tyres, less grit would be needed for the roads and folk shouldn't then be stuck at home and unable to travel because grit supplies are running low!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »
can be expensive between 100 and 150 pounds for a set

We got our 3 sets off e-bay for just short of £90, and have used them daily now for about a month ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »
I would definitely have snow tyres if all roads are snowy, but here, i am swapping between gritted and non-gritted roads.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS