Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The government are at it again.  (Read 7363 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
The government are at it again.
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »
Has anyone been wondering why places like B&Q and Focus don't have any grit?  The Government have banned the quarries from selling to retailers to ensure they have it all for themselves!!!!  They're not telling any of us that though are they?!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: The government are at it again.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:28:31 pm »
But if you don't mind me saying the country would grind to a halt if they hadn't done that.  They have to keep the main roads clear, and although a lot of the side roads don't get done it done keep most of the traffic flowing.  Most of us can get out and about and are just needing the extra grit to make it easier.  This is what I might call an emergency situation.  I just hope Global warming doesn't actually mean the next Ice Age. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »
We haven't had grit now for 3weeks on any roads (but trust fife council, they ran out it mad the public news  ;D )

Instead we have to make do with a snowplough that causes more problems than not, it goes through the local villages and ploughs round the vehicles parked, trapping them under 4ft snow drifts  ;D
Every 4x4 and it's owner have been working 24/7 to get them out, but along comes the snowplough, whilst everyone is working and piles them in again, good way to loose the Christmas pounds, shoving a few cars  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:07 pm »
Have to ay I agree with Annie, I would rather the goverment uses the grit to dish out to the councils to use, than for someone who doesn't actually HAVE to go out, to use it on their drive because they want to go to the pictures. I haven't used any grit at all. We have some old rocksalt that my mum bought about 3 years ago, and we use it sparingly, along with digging (hence the fact that I've done my back in) and along with some ash from the open fire.

I do agree with Cameron that the snowploughs sometimes cause problems with where they pile up the snow though!

Beth

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »
Yes, but why do they just do it - why can't someone be interviewed on the news and say "Sorry we need all the grit so you won't be able to buy any - just please be patience with us."

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:55 pm »
Our local Tesco has sold out of salt. I heard today from the Council roads dept that salt doesn't work at below -5.
The next shipment of grit is coming into Scotland on Saturday and some councils are having to halve their use of grit until then.
It does seem to be on the scale of a national emergency :(
kirsty

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:55 pm »
Our yellow Council grit boxes haven't been refilled since before Christmas.
Someone up the ladder should take a course in Switzerland or Sweden - HOW DO THEY MANAGE WITH ALL THAT SNOW??? I think the wonder weapon is called a snow plough and the only one I've seen here ever at work is owned by the farmer around the corner! Grit and salt are secondary, as they only work to a degree anyway with ice or get buried in fresh snow. It is possible to be better organized! And I do agree with that it is a particularly hard year, but the moaning was the same every time some snow fell in all the previous years, as if it was an oddity to have snow in the winter! Never mind my rant, but I have not really left this place since before Christmas, I think it's called cabin fever!  :&>

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »
Our yellow grit box was filled up last week and everyone uses it very sparingly.

The Government should be more organised - we had the same grit panic last February when the weather was bad.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »
I'm just disappointed that we haven't been snowed in yet. I didn't move into the glen to be able to go to work everyday. Think I might have to go and disable my neighbouring farmer's tractor tonight. He keeps clearing  and gritting the road. I have several books I want to read and plenty of work to avoid. What's the betting we get snowed in next Wednesday when I am supposed to be going south to my godson's christening?
kirsty

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:47:34 pm »
Kirsty, be careful what you wish for...It is romantic in the first week, in the second you have to ask people to get you supplies from milk to booze, in the third week the kids go on each other's and your nerves up to bursting point, then the coalman doesn't seem to see the point in coming on the usual day (although his lorry would be the most likely to make it) and you sit in the cold instead of the fire with the new laptop... :'( :'( :'( :'( :&> and then they say it's another 10 days of that to come!!  :&>

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:06 pm »
Ok that sounds rubbish.
So do you have no fire and no laptop at the moment?
kirsty

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:27:13 pm »
I do have the laptop and it's lovely! Got it delivered on my birthday (thank you, "big T") But it's darn cold in front of the fire...We will survive, it's not like in the first few years after I came here and we only had the fireplace for heating! That was 2 adults and up to 4 kids huddled around the fire, the cat in the middle, how did we  actually survive that and the generations before us I wonder ???   I will walk the kids down the hill to the next road tomorrow after long negotiations with the bus drivers to get them back to school and then get on with things as normal.  ;)  ;D

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:09:48 pm »
Simon just came in after falling over on the icey pavement in Alyth. I actually think that we are safer here in the wilds where the snow and ice is forming big ruts. - at least there is more to grip onto.
kirsty

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:17:50 pm »
We got our first snow on 16th December and haven't had a gritter within 3 miles of the place, although with the 6-8 inches of compacted snow and ice on the roads now I doubt it would make much difference ! And to think we were contemplating selling the old hylux - no way !! I've been out 3 times since the first snow and get more terrified each time I do - must be the thought of skidding off the road and hurting the (admittedly small) bump that's developing  ;) so can TOTALLY sympathise with the 'cabin fever' feeling - if it doesn't start to melt soon I may have my own mini-meltdown  ;D ;D ;D

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:03 am »
the snow is sheets of ice here,gritters wont come down non main roads and public transport is off.i took dogs out and coz we live on a hill no cars in or out ,really quiet,i went flying on my a*** and have twisted my ankle .was watching a paramedic who had slid the car down the hill get towed out by a 4x4.
my o/h is working in north sea at mo,hopefully trains will be back on so he can come home 7hr train ride from  great yarmouth in nice weather. wouldnt want to be in north sea neither.
cant get car out on roads and my van wont start.
dogs like eating the snow though  :dog:  ;D
thoughts go out to all who are stranded completly and who have a lot of livestock miles away.hope it thaws soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS