Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: *!@$!! Punctures  (Read 5071 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
*!@$!! Punctures
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:28:20 pm »
Grrrr!!!
I had a puncture on the front tractor tyre (again) 2 days ago. It's got a front loader so at least easy enough to pull the wheel.
Hosed off the mud, fixed the puncture, checked again for any more and put the tyre back.. backwards ;cos I wasn't concentrating (sigh0... took it off again and mirrored it and despite being careful crimped the inner tube and made more holes. Fixed them and finally got the wheel back.

Just now stepped out of the cab to unload some logs and could hear a hiss... same blasted tyre just got punctured again......

I haven;t even been off our trackways with it since last time so theres a nail or more around somewhere..

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: *!@$!! Punctures
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »
 While im sure you checked inside the tyre,  are you certain that a nail is not sticking in the carcass  and only pushing on the tube when inflated or  a section of wire from the carcass structure just poking out   or a tiny stone inside the tyre  .    3 punctures in the same tyre in 2 days, the odds must be high .      Is the glue fairly young  ?  ive seen old glue used and  the patch's not stick 100% .   

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:15:47 pm »
Sadly I've become somewhat an expert in puncture repairs here..quite thorny in places.. so I had thoroughly run my hands inside the tyre and searched outside etc . I've just fixed the latest hole which is unrelated to the others in internal position and did recheck the inside of tyre etc again anyway.

But I'm leaving putting tractor back in it's shed until daylight in case I run over the same darned nail when backing out of where it is.

I was just sounding off over the ill fortune of 2 days apart.. :gloomy:

(Oh, and 2 of the wheel nut spring washers snapped as well.. found the bits with a magnet and torch)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »
 I assume its a 2 wheel drive ,  long time ago before 4wd I and many others put old lorry tyres on the the front of loader tractors , much stronger structure ( super singles ) but depends on size

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:06 pm »
Use a strip of tin can to scrape the inside of the tyre , it helps save you ripping your hand open .

I have a scar nearly 2 inches long in the palm of my right hand from 1972 when I found the the corner of a broken gin bottle or similar deeply embedded into the rubber that I could not see either from the outside of the casing or the inside of it.
 It came very close to taking out my finger tendons & bled like a pig ...
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:01 pm »
I assume its a 2 wheel drive ,  long time ago before 4wd I and many others put old lorry tyres on the the front of loader tractors , much stronger structure ( super singles ) but depends on size

4WD ...

cloddopper
 Use a strip of tin can to scrape the inside of the tyre , it helps save you ripping your hand open .

That I was careful about

You'ld think by now they'd be filling tyres with some form of expanded foam so punctures didn;t happen

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:40:08 am »
The last one we had was caused by flakes of rust on the inside of the rim. A wire brush and a lick of paint fixed it. The tractor is over 50 years old though and the tyres could have been on there a very long time.  I went through a spate of punctured on our Land Rover a few months ago. Hadn't had one for years then had three in a week. New tyres have stopped it for now.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »
you'ld think by now they'd be filling tyres with some form of expanded foam so punctures didn;t happen
    You can buy tyre sealant  ( use it in our loader tractor  )  but only in non tubed tyres

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:33:27 am »
you'ld think by now they'd be filling tyres with some form of expanded foam so punctures didn;t happen
    You can buy tyre sealant  ( use it in our loader tractor  )  but only in non tubed tyres

I use it on my quadbike ... some thorny ground around here too.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:33 pm »

Had a thought,  do you partly inflate the inner tube before you put it in the tyre that's got one bead over the rim on the wheel ?

If not try doing that , for it helps stop your nipping of the inner tube when you put the other bead on   do how ever ensure that the inflation valve is well pulled  in to the hole and slip on a dust cap before you put the second bead over the rim .

Using liquid soap or Swarfega is also good for providing a bit of gentle lubrication to help tings a long if you don't have the proper tyre grease .

I used to have all my bee trailers tyres fitted with inner tubes so the wheels could handle rough ground when the hives were full with three supers without deflating .

Each wheel had one of the puncture seal cans put in it . I very rarely had evidence of a puncture , but did occasionally get a tyre  & tube ripped wide open on old close cut stuff like 1" thick bullace & coppiced hazel
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »

Had a thought,  do you partly inflate the inner tube before you put it in the tyre that's got one bead over the rim on the wheel ?

If not try doing that , for it helps stop your nipping of the inner tube when you put the other bead on   do how ever ensure that the inflation valve is well pulled  in to the hole and slip on a dust cap before you put the second bead over the rim .

Using liquid soap or Swarfega is also good for providing a bit of gentle lubrication to help tings a long if you don't have the proper tyre grease .

Yeah partially inflated to straighten out any kinks then allowed to  soften before going for the second rim.. and the valve was pulled up and seated first and held with a screw-on valve tool. I'll admit no lube but this is the first tyre (of very many) I've ever pinched.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS