Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tough birds!  (Read 1993 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
tough birds!
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:01:33 am »
Hi all,  :wave:
I have two cockerels and a number of drakes, all about eight months old, to dispatch for the freezer. I have done this (cockerels only) once before but the birds were really tough! I dispatched, plucked and drew them on the same day and then left them in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking one and freezing the other, was this the correct thing to do or does anyone have alternative suggestions? Hope you can help - one 'tough old bird' in the house is enough me thinks!  :roflanim:
Heather

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: tough birds!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:07 am »
try killing and hanging for 5 days before gutting.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:22:45 am »
Casserole in a slow cooker rather than roast.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:03 am »
Some breeds are just not good eating Madchickenlady. The local breed here, the Black Gasconne, is particularly bad. But after 26 weeks they toughen anyway. They are also best given limited movement to avoid over-toughening the legs.

So slow casserole is definitely the best option for what you have. I don't like hanging birds myself. The procedure you followed before is the same we use.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »
Must depend on the breed, I think. I've got a bunch of the same age and they're OK to eat - even the cockerel who was 18 months old was better than anticipated but he was slow cooked rather than roasted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS