Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A DIY Question - Bifold Wardrobe Doors  (Read 3810 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
A DIY Question - Bifold Wardrobe Doors
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:42:15 pm »

This is a bit random I know, but I'm sure SOMEBODY on here will be able to help me out!  :thumbsup:

We have a built in wardrobe with a standard outward-opening door:

The problem is, it's just too wide, and swings right out to the bed when open, so the wardrobe is a real pain to use:

Unfortunately because of the sloping ceiling, I can't make it hinge the other way, so my next plan was to cut it in half and hinge it along the vertical red line, turning it into a bifold door:

The idea was that the corner with the red circle would then run back and forth in a track mounted on the floorboards, so the end result would look something like this:

HOWEVER, I can't seem to find a suitable kit for floor mounting - they all seem to be ceiling mounted, which won't work in our case because of the sloping ceiling corner cut-off.

So, what I want to know is firstly does anybody have any better ideas, or if not, where can I buy a floor mounted track, or something else that I can use as one?

Thanks folks!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:51:28 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: A DIY Question - Bifold Wardrobe Doors
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:36:21 am »
Have have split curtain fixed at teh top ends , use tiebacks to hooks or small wooden cleats  when you want to go in the cupboard .
 We had several such  closures when we lived in the redundant ex Beeching's axe 1864 gate keepers manned crossing house.

The nice thing is you don't have to paint them and they don't hit you in the head or on the toes.
Plus , when Alison over stuffed them , the door still closed
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:03:54 am »
Alternatively hinge the door to fold back against the other half then open that one.  It is still halved but needs no tracks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 12:08:42 pm »
Ummm... why does it need tracks? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:43 pm »
have you tried ironmongery direct for parts?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS