Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning wheel for sale  (Read 5100 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Spinning wheel for sale
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:32:23 pm »
Does anyone want to buy my Ashford Traveller? It's in good condition with a new drive band and tension spring and several bobbins. Scotch tension.

I'm looking for £200 for her. Need to sell as I don't have the space for two and I find my Ashford Joy, being double treadle, is easier for my arthriticky knees and feet to cope with.

She will need picking up from Shropshire, or I could maybe meet someone part way.

PM me if you are interested.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Spinning wheel for sale
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:09:39 am »
Is she a two- or three-speed, Lesley?  And I assume she's single treadle?  How many bobbins in all?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »
Yes, she's single treadle and there are about five bobbins, I think but maybe more. I need to gather them all up. How do I tell what speeds she has?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:18 am »
How do I tell what speeds she has?

On the flyer, where the drive band goes around it, there will be two or three grooves.  Each groove gives a different ratio.  Older Travellers were 2-speed, 3-speed was introduced in 1990 and new ones are 4-speed.

You can buy modern 3- and 4-speed flyers to upgrade an older Traveller, they fit fine - and the older bobbins fit fine too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:45 pm »
There are two, which I'd never noticed before. I presume this means it's an older wheel? I bought her from the person who runs our spinning group and she got her from someone else.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »
It means she's an 80s wheel, yes.  No problem with that - they're lovely wheels  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19:32 am »
Practically an antique then. She is a lovely wheel. I just find that a double treadle one is easier on my legs and feet. I was having to stop every so often to rest but can keep going longer with my Joy. Teh Joy doesn't look as good as the Traveler but does suit me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 01:21:16 am »
lol, not so much an antique - there are still loads of this vintage around and in daily use.

You can get a double treadle kit for them, did you know?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »
Yes, I did know but only found out after I had bought the Joy. She is easier to transport to my spinning group and craft group so I do need her. What I do want is a jumbo spinner which is why Betsy, the Traveler is going.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
Ha! Have had to put jumbo flier on my Christmas list! When are you going to come over Lesley? I'm free wed pm and Thursdays :-) . If I had £200 I'd have it off you, will ask around. I love my traddie, but it is a pain getting it around!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:00 am »
We'll have to make it soon, Fi. I am madly busy making things for the Christmas craft stall that my daughter runs as well as doing NaNoWriMo (the write 50,000 words of a novel during November, but should be freer after that.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:59:43 pm »
Still for sale. It does have a brand new drive band and brake spring.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 08:30:22 am »
I was considering this, but maybe I should wait to 'catch' the bug first at Diane's class in Bala before investing in expensive equipment... If you are coming too, would you be able to bring it with you?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »
Hi ladyK. If it hasn't sold then yes, no problem. I will need help with getting it out of the car but I'm sure that will be ok.

I'm so looking forward to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS