Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Burying drainage pipe  (Read 5334 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Burying drainage pipe
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:37 am »
If I just bury perforated drainage pipe in the ground, will it clog up or does it need to be covered in gravel (it's for moving water from one place to another, not for draining the ground above)? I suppose I can buy some non-perforated pipe but I've already got 100m of the perforated stuff
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Burying drainage pipe
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
If its for moving water then the non perforated piping would likely be better suited.  However, in saying that water will move in a perforated pipe too so you would likely be okay.

I wouldn't put soil back on the pipe though - I'd cover it with stones first and then top up with soil.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »
Having paid someone to do this last year which was a complet waste of money and having had it done properly this year and it actually works I would say.
Put in a largish perforated pipe, make sure when you back fill large irregular gravel and that you have the correct fall and some also suggest lining with teram so that the gravel spaces do not get clogged up. If you have a lot of water pea gravel will work but is more likely to get clogged up. We are on clay so the gravel goes right up to the top.
This is a good web site,http://www.pavingexpert.com/drainage.htm

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »
you can buy perforated land drain with a microfibre sleeve sewn onto it . You still need 2 2 ( 50mm )  or so  clean stone & pea grit  to make the filter bed before you cover with soil .

Using the old dumpy fertilize or  builders bags etc cut into long strips and rolled round the pipe secured with cable ties also works .

if you have enough bags or you can stretch to a  buying a  fibre membrane a couple of meters or so wide  you can slip that in the pipe trench first lay in the pea grit , puill the sides to get an even lip of membrane each sire , lay the pipe in , cover in pea grit , fold the membrane over to effectively wrap the grit/stones & drain pipe up .

If possible leave a double thickness on the top then back fill & turf up so the turf sits a few inches proud of the trench as it will settle .

The Romans did something slightly different but the principle is the same  . They laid herringbone drains on  beds of twigs & bracken in the bottom of the pipe trench .
Laid their 18 inch long fired biscuit earthen pipes  on the bed then filled the trench with more bracken , twigs  & faggots (short  sticks about as thick as your thumb often pollard hazel or willow or black thorn   ) then back filled and left the  top ridged as it eventaully settled to flat.
 The bracken & twig gets preserved in the soil as there is no oxygen present to cause it rot ( the trench has to be at least 30 inches deep above the pipes  .
This preserved material made the soil filter

My old uncle jack ( DOB 1900's) who lived out in the Lincolnshire fens said it was not uncommon to find these old clay pipe drain systems still able to move water after almost 2,000 years .

I suppose you cold use fairly fresh chipped wood to a similar effect if you had enough of it .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
I might just invest in some non-perforated pipe as I don't want water to leak out of the pipe if it blocks

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »

Any sediments would run out the pipe with the water flow you have .
 The four x 30 mtr pipes I put in my garden  seem to be running all year round at a bucket every ten seconds . ( Wales & I live on a glacial silt clay hill side )

Just had another thought , there is a coir rope drain product ... about 100 mm in diameter in 50 mtr coils .. it does not run as fast as a pipe ,  but it is a very very effective  long term drain for the reasons I mentioned above. It might be much cheaper as well .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »
It's quite a flow I'm looking to contend with. Just need to get someone in with a digger...

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:45:10 pm »
Hire 2 ton one over Crimson when the contractors have to take everything back in off hire . Hire one and have a play .
 We used to do 22 Dec to 2 Jan special rates for DIY  hires at the plant hire company.
 Not only was it earning us money when it would have other wise cost us storage space  it also meant that the insured theft risk was reduced for us .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS