Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new ram!  (Read 5648 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: new ram!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:11 pm »
We do have a pet lamb here, she makes me smile! But to have a whole flock of her. . . . would make me cry lol.

I like to keep replacements out of twins that have been born outside, unassisted to good mothers and have grown on well on milk and grass a lone.

I also totally understand LG's frustration with trying to dog a flock that has pet lambs in it.

At the end of the day though, it's horses for courses, and if we were all the same, the world would be very boring!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 03:03:44 pm »
I know, but he has the breed figures, everything is catalogued and cross checked, I looked at his dam and sires records and they were excellent. This guy breeds for confirmation, every lamb is weighed at birth and throughout its life. I paid quite a lot of money for him, I just hope he produces good lambs.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »
Totally agree, I've had a problem with pets not being in the flock. What I do is try and get all the sheep in and then bring the pets in, or I just get a bag of cake and then its a piece of cake.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »
I respect your choice to buy in 20 triplet orphans but it seems totally at odds with paying a lot of money for a tup with good figures, if all mine had triplets it would be a disaster and in very general terms with sheep you get what you keep, keep a lot of orphans - get a lot of orphans?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:50 pm »
Yea I suppose so it was just a thought though, I may not buy them, it was just an easy option for buying in more stock. I really don't mind rearing lambs, we usually get very little amounts of triplets anyway and a lot of the rams I've bought over the years are out of triplets. I don't flush the ewes with extra feed as I find lleyns give a lot of lambs anyway. I haven't decided yet. Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS