Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new ram!  (Read 5647 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
new ram!
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:41 pm »
Yesterday I picked up the lleyn ram I reserved 2 weeks ago, he is gorgeous. I put him in with the ewes today, hopefully all goes well. He has very good genetics, I'm hoping his lambs will have very good confirmation and then they'll be worth more.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: new ram!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:54:22 am »
 :thumbsup: :fc:

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:14:27 am »
Excellent news! I saw a big Lleyn ram in the flesh for the first time a few weeks ago and you are right, they are magnificent. I'm sure he will do well.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:27:50 am »
He's not a massive ram though, he is medium sized because the ewes are traditional, so we want to keep the rams medium. I try to keep traditional Lleyns and not the pumped up ones, I always think traditional are better and are more flavoursome. It is a rather nervous waiting game though, to see what sorta lambs he gives. I might buy some ewe lambs off this guy, as lambs, because they are good sheep he has. So I might be rearing over 20 pet week old ewe lambs next march, plus my own, thankfully I've done it all before. :relief: they'll be a valuable addition to the flock though.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:09 pm »
I agree with the first part entirely and also like the medium/modest sized Lleyn but what is the point of buying in the rubbish from a good flock? Clearly you are buying crap genetics with your 20 pets? I know another Lleyn flock that kept a lot of pets years ago and regret it.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:47 am »
Ah but the thing is his ewe lambs are top quality its just he can't rear the triplets, so he has to sell them, otherwise he would keep them. You should see his flock absoloutely gorgeous and his rams look very good. :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 10:48:44 am »
Buying lambs from ewes that can't rear their lambs, in order to get ewes . . . . that can rear their lambs?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:55:13 am »
We have at least 15 ewe pet lambs over the last coming up to six years and theyre terrific mothers.  Even as rookies they took to it like a duck to water.  Then there's others that have been raised on they're dam and they're bloody nuts, I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to be honest. Nature is a curious thing....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:19 am »
I totally agree hellybee. I reared a flock of pets, some of the best mothers ever with good lambs. I always find the pet ewe lambs are worth keeping due to the fact you can shear and dose them easier, even milk them, and they're the best mothers too. So pet lambs all the way. 8)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:47:15 am »
True! I was watching a neighbour screaming and whistling at his dogs a few days ago to get his sheep in order, whilst mine were queueing up for saffron cake. Which is easier? :sheep: :sheep:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »
Call me a saddo but our three yo pet lamb ewe Eve still does a milk nudge softly on my chin when we greet each other. Silly I know  :innocent:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
Congrats on your new ram  :thumbsup: hopefully he does well for you

I kept some bottle lambs as ewes 3 years ago, regret it 100% they arent afraid of the dogs, they dont move when you shoo them, when you have a group of ewes all walking in one direction nicely to another field the bloody things turn around and walk back towards me and then the whole group breaks up  :rant: they have no respect,

I would rather a whole flock of ewes which I have to move with a dog then 10 that come running up and mob me at the gate when I try and walk into the field

Also one of them rejected her lambs, we can never be garenteed that they have all just been a triplet lamb taken off the ewe, I know of a good few farmers who just say that to all the people picking up bottle lambs, or even honest farmers who arent sure which lamb is which after they have all been put in the cade pen

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »
this guy we bought the ram off is unlike any farmer I've met he makes sure all the ewes have bonded and he weighs all the lambs at birth, plus he keeps a close eye on his ewes and whenever he notices one has three he removes the third one straightaway.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »
I wouldn't be without them personally  :love:

gadge

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:19 pm »
good looks don't mean good genetics..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS