Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from us!!  (Read 9444 times)

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
Hello from us!!
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
We have a small farm in North Devon. 26 acres of old pasture, woodland and 4 acres of veg and ground for growing all of our fodder.

We have a small herd of pigs (tamworth boar, GOS and GOSxTamworth sows, chickens and sheep.

weve been building farm buildings mainly lately and drainage (heavy clay!) and fencing (pigs!!!) but will be building a new house this summer (presently in the barns hay loft!!).

Were completely off grid so no bills (hooray!!)

All the pigs live in the woods so we are always glad to hear of any new ideas for growing wild forage in the trees!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hello from us!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:42:20 am »
Hi and welcome. ;D

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:23 am »
Bonjour and welcome from a very wet Brittany

Carole

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:23 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If there was a prize for best username you'd be in the running.   ;D

Would be very interested in learning more about how you manage off-grid.

Dan

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:04:04 am »
hey welcome to the forums! off grid.... are you solar / wind powered then? would be intresting (as dan said) to hear more!  :)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:14:27 pm »
Welcome...... and what a fantastic place in which to live!  I was brought up in N.Devon,went to Grenville College in Bideford and have made frequent visits back. Love the area and the people.
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 03:34:54 pm »
Welcome from East Devon!! - used to live in N Devon a few years back meself!!! had a small cottage in Appledore , and a stint in Torrington for many years as a wee child!!
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:53:36 pm »
Guy,
  I was born in Appledore,our house was the last one out passed the lifeboat slip before Hinks' Yard...... The Old Limekiln.... loved it there,out the gate of the paddock,down three steps and onto the beach. I once took 3 geese,strung together (in a way I won't describe here) for a walk out to Westward Ho! beach before being spotted and told to go home and stop being cruel to geese.  ;D  Anyway,I digress,and hijack this thread too! sorry...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:16 pm »
Good to hear so many locals!!!

Were about 6 miles from torrington, 9 from Appledore.

Managing off grid is fairly straightforward really.

For leccy we have a hybrid set up of Wind (1kw for more or less constant trickle charging and PV which is about to be upgraded to a new 'amorphous thin film, set up which will give us about 5kw much more cheaply than the rigid panel types.) We have Waste Veg Oil genny back up for heavy use stuff which also charges the battery bank when its on.This all allows us to run normal 240v stuff just as mains would. It powers my office, all the sockets and lights, the workshop, cold room, laundry etc (as well as our make shift house in the hayloft while we wait to build the main house!)

For hot water and heating we run 4 big vacuum tube panels running into a big thermal store which runs kitchen and a shower room.

Water is pumped from a borehole and all waste is either via a composting loo or the reedbed for grey waste.

Its been a good exercise as its all home made rather than getting in expensive firms and is so nice to be off the oil dependent merry go round.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 07:40:27 pm »
hiya from fws sound brilliant :)

linz

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:41 pm »
Hello and Welcome....and..........blimey  :o :o have you got it sussed or have you got it sussed  ;D We move to South West Wales in about 3 weeks and the nearest we're getting to being "off Grid" is that our water is pumped from a 'spring' ......so at least no water rates  ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 08:48:58 pm »
btw blinkers am gona come an visit with my tent lol
linz

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:27 pm »
Hi from me too  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:32:01 pm »
Hi, from me, too.

Rosemary

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »
Just a note to say how good the stuff on here is I only found you lot recently as had been visiting River Cottage, but that seems to now revolve largely around shopping(!?) of one kind or another.

Interesting to see so many people growing their own food this spring, things have been so wet here that its a real slow start, (we had heavy hail yesterday!)

All the beds are beginning to get going now but only just.

Took Five Pigs and Five sheep to the abbatoir today so at least we wont need so much fodder for a bit!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS