Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: waste veg from a shop  (Read 3834 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
waste veg from a shop
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:09 pm »
does anybody know what the rules are about feeding food like fruit veg bread that is leftover from a store [ but still in good condition.im not going to use rotten stuff ],and is destined for the bin?.i know you cant use scraps or kitchen waste,but there is not really any clear thing about the above that i can find.  ??? i have a baker and a grocer willing to give me leftover bread fruit and veg but i want to check its ok.is it the same as buying it reduced,is that allowed? are we allowed to feed such stuff anymore?  ::) do i just keep it in the car till i feed it ? ;)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
Re: waste veg from a shop
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:03:13 am »
Hi, Ive been having the same problem, finding a way to get cheaper food than buying fresh full priced foods,
I have a bakery that supply's me with a bin bag full of waste bread, it stays in my van or goes to the farm and stays in the feed barn in a bin, until its used, ive also enquired at a greengrocers about the same type of deal, its really hard to determine what's safe waste and what's not,
over xmas as lots of people have offered me peelings from thier kitchen after preparing Christmas dinner, its been a hard job explaining why I cant accept these, seems a shame to me especially as my pigs are pets not food
I do understand why defra has these rules but they are not exactly easy to follow,
my one rule I don't understand is where it says we cant feed any food that has passed through a factory, well surely the pig pellets I buy from the feed merchant have passed through a factory,
good luck
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:24 am »
We used to get 'waste' from the local fruit and veg shop - chopped it outside and fed direct to the pigs. It's to do away with any possible contamination from meat or meat based products which may be found in a domestic or commercial kitchen. I'm not sure about stuff from a bakery though, they probably make pies and sausage rolls in the same place so there might be more of a risk. Personally I wouldn't chance the bread, but others may disagree.
It's one of those crazy rules, which at times does seem like total madness - but it's a rule nonetheless - and better safe than sorry

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:35:25 am »
My understanding is that its OK to use waste from fruit and veg shops, its also OK to use waste from bakeries.  We use both as well as getting spent mash from one of the micro breweries.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:18:39 am »
The following are the rules governing what can and what cannot be fed to pigs. Note that whilst there are derogations allowing the feeding of fruit and vegetables direct from shops and bakery waste from premises that do not handle meat or which have HACCPS in place, you do need to check with your Trading Standards Dept first. Note that most bakeries produce sandwiches, sausage rolls, pizzas etc containing meat and even if permission is given, you must be vigilant to ensure that no cross-contamination takes place.

"It is illegal to feed any pig any catering waste (including used cooking oil), from restaurants, kitchens (both household and central), and other catering facilities even if those establishments cater solely for vegetarians.
Current legislation also imposes strict controls banning the feeding of other materials of animal origin containing them to farmed animals. There are however a small number of exceptions to this, and the following materials may be fed to pigs:
Liquid milk or colostrums may be fed to pigs kept on the same holding as that on which the milk or colostrum originated.
Former foodstuffs other than catering waste food from kitchens etc. (see above) containing rennet, melted fat, milk or eggs but where these materials are not the main ingredient.
Fishmeal, (animal derived) di-or-tri-calcium phosphate, or blood products if suitably processed (see TSE Regulations www.defra.gov.uk.animalh/bse/controls-eradication/feed-ban.htm); and
Milk, milk products and white water when suitably treated.
Please note that anyone obtaining waste milk, milk products or white water to feed to their pigs would need to register with Defra for this purpose, although, in the case of milk products, this would only be necessary if they contained more than 80% milk. Details on how to register are available from either the Defra helpline (08459 335577) or the internet (www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/guidance/register.htm).
It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs., but this can only be done from those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have (HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority[1].
If you are uncertain about what can and cannot be fed to your pigs please contact your local Animal Health Office for further advice.
Waste Food Originating In...   … Catering Establishments Incl. domestic kitchens   … Premises Other Than Catering Establishments
Meat and products containing meat   No   No
Fish and products containing fish   No   No
Eggs and egg-based products (except as defined above)   No   No
Animal fats (eg lard)   No   No
Milk and other milk-based products   No   No, except as defined above [1]
Finished foods containing eggs, rennet or melted fat but where these are not the main ingredient—i.e. biscuits, bread, cakes, chocolate, pastry, sweets etc.   No   No, except as defined above [1]
Finished foods containing eggs where these are the main ingredient—i.e. quiche etc.   No   No
Sweets, jelly and other gelatine-based products   No   No, except as defined above [1]
Used cooking oil   No   No
Vegetable waste, cereals and other materials not containing products of animal origin   No   No, except as defined above [1]"

Information from Defra publications.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
Stuff from veg shop is fine, if thats all they sell. Pigs will like their roots (especially potatoes) cooked, so not sure how you would get round that. Good food they are too. I cook mine on an electric stove outside under cover next to the backdoor (we only have weaners over spring and summer), but havent had discussions with Trading standards about it. (Its not great smell having to cook some pretty far gone potatoes in your house steaming up the kitchen anyway....) 

Would be more catious and "less official" about stuff from bakers. I personally dont use them, mainly i dont like the type of bread etc thats sold in bakeries nowadays.

Also if you ask about feeding veg etc - the first answer from Trading standards is likely to be no, its easier for them that way. Depends on your local office.

If you still have a local greengrocer - help him/her by taking away the waste vegetables, greengrocers are like gold dust nowadays!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:43 pm »
Thanks for that Mr Pig- answered some of my unasked questions about feeding milk to pigs from our goats. Thanks,

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS