Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i can now officially have livestock  (Read 2417 times)

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
i can now officially have livestock
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:28:48 pm »
 :pig:  :goat:  :sheep:  all defra paperwork sorted have cph number im registered ect  pig arriving soon.apparantly she is a large white handreared pet pig who follows you around like a dog .to a bucket and comes to call.sleeps all day except when hungry and  then goes back to sleep. hope all goes well cos im still not completely prepared for this.thanks for all the encouragement and advice everyone has given me. will post piccies.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: i can now officially have livestock
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:32:53 pm »
I know nothing about pigs but surely there should be more in her life than what you say. Also, should she be kept without any Pig company? :dunce:

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:06 pm »
 she will have 4 acres of woodland to wander around in and im trying to get another but she is 3 and she is a rescue pig and actually not bothered about other animals for company prob cos she was handreared and she is  huge ,posts already been on about company and the best things to do about introducing new pigs ect but any ideas gratefully recieved  ;D  :pig:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:58:38 pm »
So, she's gonna be one spoilt lady then eh? Good luck with your new venture, bet you are desperate for her to arrive?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »
I know nothing about pigs, a lot about dogs and cats, but to my knowledge most animals don't like being solitary.  If she follows humans about she will miss the human company too and perhaps pine away, unless you can get to your woodland area every day.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »
well this is where it starts getting interesting as the woodland belongs to a friend  and its adjoining their house/land they call a garden.who put the land up for landshare,because it is so woody no one wants it for veggies and it is starting to get a bit neglected,so i said why dont we run pigs on it she said ok,i thought gos or osb weaners  :pig: .,went to a feed shop to work.im a dog food rep at weekends and stupidly asked if any one bred pigs as i would want some in spring.not thinking that someone would be desperatly looking for a home for one that day.but a large white  3 yr old pig that has been rescued and needs a good home desperatly.so it has hastened up the process i might add.spent ages today on phone to defra and associated departments getting all red tape sorted,but found them really helpful and nice.
pig supposed to be arriving tomorrow  :o so will be fun getting sorted

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »

I think that this is one lucky pig when you think of the alternatives. I don't imagine many people want a pet pig at least not one as big as this. I have friends with a solitary pig, it was not intentional but the other one died, and he seems quite happy with a horse for a field companion.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS