Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yard/Farm Cats - what do they need?  (Read 7699 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Yard/Farm Cats - what do they need?
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:33:13 am »
We are thinking of getting 2 or 3 cats for the yard (pref feral/semi feral but can't seem to find any here). We are doing up one of the outbuildings for them, they will have a cat flap on the door so they can come and go, have their beds and bowls in there and we are thinking about moving an old sofa up there for them.

Is there anything else they will need that I've overlooked?
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Yard/Farm Cats - what do they need?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:18:48 pm »
Cats are very contrary creatures! I wouldn't go overboard in finding things for them, a bed, a sofa and food and water sound fine. You may find they chose to sleep somewhere entirely different though!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:25 pm »
Ours has a bed in the shed but she never uses it, she curls up anywhere and everywhere, often found in with sheep, ponies but equally loves being curled up with the dogs in front of the fire, farm cat my arris lol x

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »
you may find they want to come in the house, 4 out of 5 of ours are in like a shot, but still hunt a lot.
ours have beds in the garage too, but do enjoy it when the straw is there.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 05:47:10 pm »
mine hunts a lot but now comes into the main house-as well as sleeping in the utility room. Despite buying him beds, his favourite in the house is an empty cardboard box which I've now stuck a blanket in. He does love hay though, and will happily sleep on any loose hay/hay bale available outside.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:10:28 pm »
Well hopefully my new arrivals are coming tomorrow  :fc:

They have the hayloft, which has been cleared out for them, with some beds and branches and some cardboard boxes so they can occupy themselves till they are allowed out.

The rescue they are coming from have been fab, they have neutered and chipped them for us and even told us we don't have to pay a rehoming fee for them, as they want a good home for them.  I'm excited about getting them now, although the day is a little tinged with sadness as we lost one of our horses yesterday.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
Sorry to hear about your horse  :'( :bouquet:

Hope you get on well with the new cats.  Sounds like they're coming to a veritable farmcat heaven! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »
They arrived about 5pm, looked all calm and peaceful whilst the fosters from the rescue were here, waved them off and went to get the food for them sorted, took their food in and they were up on the roof beams and shimming up the wall  :o
I'm having a little bit of a 'what have I done' moment, I've barricaded the door and hoping they are still in there in the morning!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »
From what I hear, that's entirely par for the course!  I'm sure they'll be fine after a few days of you being the person who brings food ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:59 pm »
Mind your back as you open the door in the morning  :innocent: - they'll be waiting to shoot out and give you a heart attack - and pretend to be lost till they are hungry and realise you're the best source of instant food  :excited:  Pictures if you catch them   :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 08:05:02 am »
I have one cat which just adopted us, she prefers to sleep in the buildings and hunts for her food, plus I do give her a bit of food every day, but she certainly keeps the rat population down. Strangely enough she has never attacked a chicken, she sometimes accompanies me to let them out, but never tries eating them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:06:17 am »
Well they were still in there this morning, after a moment of panic when I couldn't find Noah (boy cat) and he was sat on the ledge over the door. Macie (mum cat) was still sat on the roof beam giving me the evil eye. I put their food in, sorted their litter tray and have left them to it.

Here are a couple of pics their fosterer sent me till they settle and come down off the roof so I can get some more pics, Macie is the tortie and white, Noah is the tabby and white.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 05:00:54 pm »
Here they are this morning, sitting on the roof beams

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:39:30 am »
Well Macie and Noah have been in the hayloft for 6 weeks. I put the cat flap in and propped it open for them on Monday and they stayed inside! Tried to bribe Noah out with food but he came out, ate and went back in.
Yesterday morning Macie was gone, leaving Noah on his own, poor boy looked a bit lost without his mum.
I had just fed Noah last night and came into the kitchen to wash my hands and spotted Macie outside, I went back out and she was sat in the trees behind the house, I put some food out for her and went back to fetch it later and most of it had gone, so either she came down to eat it or Noah came down to eat it and then went back up.  I left the food in the outbuilding under their hayloft on top of a freezer, it has a window that she can get through if she wants to get the food.

How do I know if she is eating? And how long do I leave it without seeing her before I start to panic?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:52:19 am »
Mum will be well used to fending for herself. She knows where there is shelter and a regular supply of food should she have a day of not finding her own so try not to worry. Little boy is obviously happier in the safety of his new home. Just keep placing food in their usual feeding place so they know where to get it.They will both be fine, you have done a good job settling them and for long enough for them to know where they now belong  :thumbsup: Well done   :trophy:  :cat:  :cat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS