Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing Turkey breast??  (Read 4427 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Curing Turkey breast??
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:49:28 am »
As I have a couple of turkeys left over, we have jointed them for freezing, I wondered if I could cure the breast and honey roast to later slice for sandwiches etc, same procedure as doing ham but maybe cure for 3 days? is this a mad idea or does anyone know if it works? Thanks ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Curing Turkey breast??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:18:11 pm »
I don't see why not - you can get honey roast chicken in the shops so why not turkey?  Wouldn't you do it the same way as ham?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:52:50 pm »
Well decided to go for it! Have cured 2 breasts which are now in the fridge, will let you know the outcome!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:19:28 am »
Please do cos if you are successful I am going to be getting rid of a few cockerels!.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
Well I did it! cured for 3 days in the fridge with salt, brown sugar and seasonings. Rinsed and dried it off then covered with honey and roasted for about 50 mins on 160deg. Result is lovely, sort of like ham but not, definately worth a try and will certainly do some chicken too! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:29:17 am »
Going to try that thanks for posting it.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:01:32 am »
I've got a small smoker and have smoked whole chickens. The resulting meat is good hot or cold. I prefer it cold with a salad.

I think you could do the same with the turkey meat. I would place the fillets in strong brine for about 45 minutes, rinse, dry and then put in the smoker for:-

1 hour hot (110-130 deg C)
OR
5-8 hours cold (30-50 deg C)

The figures are just my best guess based on how the chickens turn out. You need to match the time to the size of the piece of meat in order to achieve a reasonable state of preservation. I wouldn't rely on the smoking to preserve the meat though and would store in the freezer if the meat had to be kept for more than a couple of days.

I only offer this as another alternative to curing, not as a preferred approach.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS