Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Commercial crop  (Read 3646 times)

Jaks

• Joined Nov 2014
Commercial crop
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »
Greetings all,
New to the group and very early days for me!
I was just wondering if anyone could answer a query i have regarding whether there is any requirements that need to be in place before any excess crop can be retailed to the public?
Like most visitors to the site i expect i harbour grandiose ideas regarding living a life of sustainability but i also have an eye on the commercial possibilities of agriculture and am looking for advice on how the two could harmonise!
Lok forward to hearing from anyone.
Leigh

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Commercial crop
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »
I would have thought that it would depend.
This link https://www.gov.uk/farm-shops-and-farmers-markets#legislation-and-licensing-requirements-for-farm-shops-and-farmers-markets may have some relevant info for you.
You may also wish to enquire with your local trading standards or council office.
In theory produce that could be sold, could be tested for residues if chemicals have been used on the ground - I realise that the majority of smallholders wont but I mention it anyway.

If I'm honest, if its an honesty box or ask for a donation job, as long as folk are aware that its 'over production' you should be fine.  It would be no different to a farmer selling sac's of spuds from the farm gate.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:56:44 am »
Depending where yopu live ...
Garden gate sale rules may apply so long as you don't grow commercially .. they should be laid out on your local authorities website .

I used to take a few boxes of decent cabbages & carrots to a guy who ran a market veg stall in days of yore. . doubt if it can be legally done these days though.

If your hoping to use an allotment have a look at the terms & conditions of occupancy .. Most seem to forbid selling any excess crops and by the gods it seems that there are many on sites who are only too happy to bubble you to the allotment land owners .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
If your hoping to use an allotment have a look at the terms & conditions of occupancy .. Most seem to forbid selling any excess crops and by the gods it seems that there are many on sites who are only too happy to bubble you to the allotment land owners .
We weren't allowed to sell stuff when we had the allotment and we had plenty of plot holders who would have cliped on you if you did.  However I did 'sell' stuff.
In the last 2 years that we had the plot I would 'sell' excess veg and fruit at our church after the service on a Sunday with all the funds going back to the church fundraising committee.  I wish I grew on a commercial scale as the stuff used to fly off the table every week - rhubarb, spuds, onions, c/kale, half cabbages.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:25 am »
Where on earth would be the risk in vegetables? The world has gone completely mad!!! (Or is it me?)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:33:45 pm »
Where on earth would be the risk in vegetables? The world has gone completely mad!!! (Or is it me?)

incorrect pesticide use and/or contaminated soil

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:49:36 am »
worse than that Pg, 
You'd be taking  the sale from a monied land owner/farmer & that's still  a crime even today .

In the great depression of the 1930's folk were jailed for doing it and given hard labour etc or sometimes even flogged as well if it was a second or subsequent offence .

Look up the number of successful prosecutions of the last ten years or so in South Wales for people taking more than one 2 & 1/2  gallon bucket of mussels or cockles from the foreshore .     

In days gone by the monied folk were the law & the lawmakers  to most folks detriment, it seems little has changed for it 's always the golden rule ..those who have gold ...rule.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:56 am »

incorrect pesticide use and/or contaminated soil

Supermarkets seem able to sell veg and fruit sozzled in chemicals ::)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »
Supermarkets seem able to sell veg and fruit sozzled in chemicals ::)
'Sozzled' may be slightly exaggerating  :thinking:
The range of products that can be applied to many crops now are getting limited (and in some cases very limited).
Commercial growers are heavily regulated with what they can and can't put on crops.  If the growers are found to have over applied a product they can fail any QA scheme check which results in the product being refused and if its a Dept check they can loose part of the farm payment. 
Crops will be tested for MRL's on the shop floor too - if found to exceed an MRL the product is withdrawn from the shelves.
Without chemicals we wouldn't be able to have such an array of crops to feed the world.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS