Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rushes - when to treat?  (Read 9302 times)

Sarah Smyth

• Joined Oct 2014
Rushes - when to treat?
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:52:18 am »
Hi - i have a number of fields showing fairly significant coverage with rushes standing 2-3 ft. The surrounding grassland has been grazed down close. These rushes are showing seed. Just enquiring as to the best approach with these:

Top and weedwipe now?

Just weedwipe now?

Wait until next year?

Thanks!

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
Re: Rushes - when to treat?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:40 am »
Your first option; "Top and weedwipe now" or if the weather isn't conducive to wiping, simply keep topping them.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:54:24 pm »
I don't know where you are but much to wet on 'wet' land to drive over it all now .... watch a tractor pulling another out of a field yesterday where it had been topping rushes.   Don't know how big an area you are trying to treat but my OH is having much success weed wiping by hand  using one of hose 'extra dry' mops and glyhosate.  Generally bit late in season for treating... better cut first and weed wipe the regrowth.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »
I appreciate that for smallholders its not always possible but try and improve the drainage.
If you do the rushes should go as they are only there due to excessive moisture.

If not an option at the moment I'm with Backinwellies - time is against us now.
Probably best to top now and treat in the spring.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 06:09:06 pm »
Last 2 posts have echoed what I would say. Usual guidance is to top and give it about 3 weeks and wipe the new shoots. I'd be waiting till spring myself. In fact got similar and will be waiting till next spring

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »
sorry to be thick - what's weed wiping? and can you do large areas or just small areas?

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »
Sort of does what it says on the tin. Wipes or licks taller weeds avoiding spray on plants you want to keep. Big ones can be towed behind tractors and smaller ones behind quads with height adjusters. I think there are handheld versions tho not sure if they're any good

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 07:34:52 pm »
. I think there are handheld versions tho not sure if they're any good
My husband has very successfully used one of these http://www.shopclues.com/single-rib-telescopic-aluminium-mop.html  !!
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 07:39:34 pm »
. I think there are handheld versions tho not sure if they're any good
My husband has very successfully used one of these http://www.shopclues.com/single-rib-telescopic-aluminium-mop.html  !!
oh yeah- didn't read your post properly- sorry

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 06:52:02 pm »
Cutting and removing the rush will gradually suppress it, allowing the grass and herbs to take over. You might have some fen meadow flush pasture which is actually getting quite rare these days. Is there any marsh marigold?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »
Our cattle - Herefords, or Highlands will eat rushes down when grass is in short supply.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:21 am »
One thing that sometimes gets forgotten in the war on reshes is that they are great shelter for sheep and especially lambs. 

Which said, the most effective way to reduce them is to top and then weed-wipe the new growth - the poison is absorbed much more readily through the softer, new growth. 

If you don't want to, or can't (due environmental scheme for instance) use chemicals, then topping in early summer (after the ground nesting birds have fledged and left) and again 6-8 weeks later is also fairly effective. 

If you like providing habitat for ground-nesting birds, then don't top all of it every year, but rather top different thirds each year to give a range of heights and some open areas.

Oh, and native ponies will probably do a reasonably good job too, over time. 

As everyone else has said, probably too late to do much about it this year as the ground is likely to be very wet by now.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:15 am »
I am into the second winter of strip grazing a wet rushy field, with back fence, and the treading of the plants has really thinned them out already.  I hope to get some summer grazing on the field next year too as stock levels have increased.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:37:01 am »
I am into the second winter of strip grazing a wet rushy field, with back fence, and the treading of the plants has really thinned them out already.  I hope to get some summer grazing on the field next year too as stock levels have increased.

Assume this is with cattle.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:36:50 am »
Hi,

I still don't understand what "weed wiping" is.

Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS