Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bumper crop!  (Read 2052 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Bumper crop!
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:11:42 pm »
The tomato plants have produced a bumper crop this year, I know a lot of you will say chutney, however am not a massive fan of chutney, does anyone know a recipe for tomato sauce?
Many thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bumper crop!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:08 am »
Most of mine have ended up slowly fried with onions as a base for tomato sauce later on, frozen - without any further spices. Also good for curry base.

Also easy to take (cherry tomatoes) splash on some olive oil, some salt and pepper and cook in oven for about 45 mins (until nicely browned). then I freeze, and puree later on for tomato sauce.

My basic tom sauce recipe is sweat onions, add chopped garlic, add table spoon full of each Oregano, Basil and marjoram, then add tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and pepper. let bubble for a while. If I have lurking in fridge, I also brown some chorizo with the onions, or add some browned mince in later for Bolognese.... or mushrooms or peppers (bumper harvest too this year)...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:09:37 am »
I always add a bit of balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar to my tomato sauce and cook it pretty much as Anke says above, not necessarily with the herbs, so I can add them when I use it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
Hugh F.W. has a good recipe for sauce/ketchup.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
Thanks guys I may try these recipes, they sound delicious! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS