Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep trailer  (Read 4964 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
sheep trailer
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »
Hi This month has just been bad luck after bad luck. I was on the way to pick up the heb ram today with the trailer whent to see him and he was perfect but he jumped out of the trailer at the top which was a 40cm gap so then whent home to put some chicken wire on the gap at the top which went fine was half way home to put the wire on and the trailer hit a rock and the wheel just snaped of destroying the braking system as well as this is not worth the money to repair as the bady has taken serious dammage I need to buy a new trailer and quick as my lambing time depend on it. The new trailer would need to be pig useable as well but am not shure what to get. What would i be expected to pay and which brand would it be? Would it just be cheaper to buy a small horse box instead as there is more of them? I have two weeks to find a new one before my lambing is way out time. Please help me I feel that the whole world is against me right now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: sheep trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:23:48 am »
 :hug:  What a string of bad luck.  The only silver lining is that the tup wasn't in the trailer when the wheel snapped  :relief:

A new small trailer, suitable for pigs or sheep, unbraked (if you are happy with that) is about £1400-ish, I think.  We had brakes put on ours so we could carry 1T of feed in it, cost an extra few hundred pounds.

I'm sure others will be along soon to tell you where you'd find a good secondhand one, if that's what you're after.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:17:25 am »
Also lucky you weren't halfway home when the lamb jumped out :o :o We searched for weeks for a second hand trailer but finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new one. A single axle 6 x 4ft, unbraked was eleven hundred pounds. After that, of course we saw a couple for sale second hand but these were around the 8-9 hundred pounds mark so they do keep their price.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:47:08 am »
Is the emergency just to move the ram?   If so the back of a landy or a borrowed trailer will do surely?   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:05 am »
Hi people are sensitive about putting sheep in the back and there is no one near by who would let out trailers. We are probably just going to have to hget an Ifor Williams. P6g or P6e. I will just have to hope that there are no complications. And yes thank goodness that the tup was not in the trailer but the tup gave it a godd battering when we tryed to get him in.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
Where are you Zwartbles? Can you appeal on here for help to get your ram home?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »
Hi my sheep are just outside peebles but I should be fine as I will try and get a tailer in a week Or two I was just wondering which make I should get.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:35:40 am »
What sort of vehicle do you have. You could rent a van, like a berlingo, and pick him up in that. It might be cheaper than a trailer. I am sorry to hear about your trailer, it must be really horrible. All the best and i hope you manage to pick up your ram on time.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:23 am »
I wouldn't put a Heb tup into the back of van... those horns can do a fair bit of damage...

If you are really stuck get back to me, I have a Pe6. I am near St Boswells. Where do you need to collect the boy from?

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
Thanks ANKE I think that I have found one but thanks for the offer. That's what I thought about the heb tup but when he almost smashed the trailer to get out. I was not sure what would brake first his horns or the trailer but now I know. I'm going to get a metal one and bring a female with me next time.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 05:20:58 pm »
Thanks for all your help I have a trailer and one of my tups is in. This form is Priceless.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS