Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New hen house  (Read 7917 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: New hen house
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:48:10 am »
Shuttering ply is fine for a year or so, but it comes apart when it gets wet between the ply even if you seal it.

I know it sounds expensive, but marine ply will save you in the long run.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »
I've just bought a shed load of ply (pun intended). Was told to seal it even though I bought marine.  Was expensive, hope it lasts the rest of my life and I never have to replace it. Hope I live to a ripe old age.
I never thought housing chickens would be so complicated.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »
To pick this up again, I called our local timber merchant and he confirmed that you really need to seal any kind of ply once you cut it. Marine will last far longer but always wise to seal the ends.

Now, to my surprise, he recommended that I build houses out of structural OSB. He said the glue was waterproof and it took painting very well. I know they use it to temporarily board windows and stuff but as far as I was concerned, it's not really an exterior product. The offcuts I have used to shelter broody coops etc. have always soaked up water fairly rapidly. It's also not as strong and you can snap it far easier than the same thickness of ply.

So I'm more confused now. Planning on building 6 houses so want to get it right and have something which will last a good few years without spending too much.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS