Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a young bull next year  (Read 10699 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Thinking of getting a young bull next year
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 07:31:32 am »
- I assume you won't be gettinga  Jersey bull!-

Definitely don't .......... Even at a year old and not very big they can be Very unpleasant!   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 10:16:35 am »
The problem we've found with Shetlands - and I'm sure it's a rare breed thing - is securing a bull before it's lost its balls. Most folk with bull calves castrate early and by the time other breeders are looking for bulls ready to work, it's too late.

We've bought one from Derbyshire this year - he's got good genetics for us - born March 2014, so will be used sumer 2015 and summer 2016 then in the freezer before thirty months.

So I'll be looking for a 2016 born bull calf next - and I'll be looking in advance even of it being born :-)

trawscoed

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:26 am »
- I assume you won't be gettinga  Jersey bull!-

Definitely don't .......... Even at a year old and not very big they can be Very unpleasant!

Yes, I've heard that they generally need 3 handlers when being showed!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »
a definite no to the Jersey bull question!!  Either Angus or Hereford.  Decided against the use of the next door Charolais.  Sorry to anyone who likes them on here, but i just dont like the look of them, and i am the one who will be looking at the progeny! 

My big concern is handling a bull.  Even if i buy in a nice quiet young hereford, run it with my girls for 2 or 3 months, i will still need to catch them up, TB him before moving him and then sell him.  I have the ultimate respect and fear of bulls, just dont know if i want to be dealing with one!! 

Beginning to stress myself out regarding getting these girls in calf!!!  ??? :(

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
If you decide on a Hereford I can probably put you in touch with a few breeders - you need to decide whether you want a Traditional (rare breed) one which are somewhat smaller, or a modern polled one - both should be quiet with nice temperaments.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »
Thanks cowgirl, might just take you up on that offer.  I would be more interested in the polled Herefords.  Would be interested in contacting some breeders who are in my area (Hampshire) and having a chat.  :)

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:54 pm »
As far as I can find out there aren't many breeders in Hampshire. There are three which advertise in the breed journal and one only has horned cattle. Weybrook Farm Polled Herefords are near Basingstoke - you could start looking there. There is also a breeder in the Isle of Wight and one near Winchester. You need to ask about health but many are in health schemes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS