Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bark chewed from apple tree  (Read 24322 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Bark chewed from apple tree
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:13:34 am »
I don't think we've got deer and I'm pretty sure the sheep haven't got in from the field next-door so is there anything else that would chew the bark off my apple tree to a height of about 2ft?
Confused  ???

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Re: Bark chewed from apple tree
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:22:22 am »
My guess is that your trees have been scoffed by rabbits!

I have seen considerable damage caused to trees by rabbits eating the bark, they chew their way up from the bottom, cheeky wee things that they are.. hope this helps

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:10:36 am »
Yeah but out of the 10 young trees I planted only 1 has been attacked. They were only cheapies and on my budget I didn't fancy paying more than the trees cost for trunk protectors, stakes and all the other gubbins. I seriously doubt its rabbits though... We've got several big cats who are bloody good rabitters, not to mention our yorkies who have free-reign... I would imagine if we had rabbits or indeed if rabbits dared enter our land someone would've brought one in by now.
We do have a family of pheasants (I noticed one morning while doing my rounds) and the cats/dogs are leaving them alone. One thing I can't get over (and this shouldn't be a suprise really as I grew up in a small fishing village) is how peaceful it is where we live. Often the only thing I can hear is the birds singing. SO peaceful and tranquil right up to the moment the baby-monitor screams at me LOL!

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:26:05 am »
you could make some tree protectors from old chicken wire ......just cut a short length and wrap round like a tube . as the trees grow you can just undo and take off, or tape two short legths of guttering together to make a large tube. Failing those ideas ....what you need is a big gun and some night vision glasses....sorry can't be of any more help though ....

cheers

Russ

mack5522

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Mounds Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:36:24 am »
here in the states on a young tree if its deer they will eat every leaf they can get to. what we do here that works fairly well is paint the trunk from the ground up about 3 or four feet with white interior latex paint it will not harm the tree , tastes terable and also stops bugs from boring in to the bark

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:43:59 am »
badgers and squirrels also attack bark but i doubt if its squirrels as they'll have plenty of food elsewhere at the minute
Ian

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:38:55 pm »
Squirrels have been causing havoc with our trees. Deer is not common here but squirrels are, they are stripping the trees of their bark from ground level upwards, and at heigher levels as well. Have lost two young oak trees (about 20years old) so far this year and hazel also seems to be at risk also.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 02:51:48 pm »
my trees have been attacked by rabbits!! grrrrr

they must be pretty determined to get in - despite me living next to a woods, they want my new fruit trees more than anything

lots of bark has been stripped off them now - i'm only hoping they'll live - otherwise that's £200 wasted and i'll need to start again  :(

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:18:40 pm »
the snow has been a godsend!!!

this morning, i discovered fresh rabbit tracks from under a bush along my fenceline, that's where they were getting in!!! HA!! now firmly filled in

just hoping the trees survive, fingers crossed - but think i'll be down to the local nursery in a few weeks to buy some new trees :-(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
Or Lidl - £3.99 for fruit trees - I've had them before and they are really good doers! Bougth two more today.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS