Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Best Scottish Shortbread Recipe...... ever!  (Read 145575 times)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
The Best Scottish Shortbread Recipe...... ever!
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:13:10 pm »
Scottish Shortbread

This is just the easiest and the most scrummiest recipe ever and takes no time at all to make….

I make it most weekends and sometimes throw in some choc chips or raisins to vary it slightly.

I once grated the rind of a whole unwaxed lemon into the mixture and once baked and cooled, I melted white chocolate and half dipped them into the chocolate and allowed it to set… delicious!

Cinnamon and Raisin is another version that works well just add a tbsp of ground cinnamon and a couple of handfuls of raisins

INGREDIENTS
8 ozs (225g) Plain Flour
4 ozs (100g) Cornflour
4 ozs (100g) Icing Sugar
8 ozs (225g) Butter

METHOD
Chop butter into small pieces and place into processor with sieved flour, cornflour and icing sugar. Whizz until it gathers into a ball.

either….

Turn the mixture out onto floured surface and roll out to ½ inch thick. Cut into rounds with pastry cutter and place on a greased baking tray.

Or

Roll into a large sausage fill a plastic bag with some demorara sugar put the shortbread sausage into the bag and coat the outside edges in the sugar.. remove and cut into thick slices (my preferred option its quicker!)

Cook for 15-20 minutes at 350f/ 180c / Gas 4 till firm and light brown. Place on a wire rack and sprinkle with caster sugar while warm.

Tip – to keep shortbread fresh and crisp, place in a plastic bag when cool and then in an airtight tin.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: The Best Scottish Shortbread Recipe...... ever!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:07:48 am »
Definitely going to try this!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:42:28 am »
yum yum i made apple pie yesterday :)
I'll print these off and add it to my recipe box :)

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:56:59 pm »
They look fantastic.... must try this recipe. thanks ;D

Wanda L. Wood

• Joined Oct 2007
  • United States
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:13 am »
Scottish Shortbread

This is just the easiest and the most scrummiest recipe ever and takes no time at all to make….

I make it most weekends and sometimes throw in some choc chips or raisins to vary it slightly.

I once grated the rind of a whole unwaxed lemon into the mixture and once baked and cooled, I melted white chocolate and half dipped them into the chocolate and allowed it to set… delicious!

Cinnamon and Raisin is another version that works well just add a tbsp of ground cinnamon and a couple of handfuls of raisins

INGREDIENTS
8 ozs (225g) Plain Flour
4 ozs (100g) Cornflour
4 ozs (100g) Icing Sugar
8 ozs (225g) Butter

METHOD
Chop butter into small pieces and place into processor with sieved flour, cornflour and icing sugar. Whizz until it gathers into a ball.

either….

Turn the mixture out onto floured surface and roll out to ½ inch thick. Cut into rounds with pastry cutter and place on a greased baking tray.

Or

Roll into a large sausage fill a plastic bag with some demorara sugar put the shortbread sausage into the bag and coat the outside edges in the sugar.. remove and cut into thick slices (my preferred option its quicker!)

Cook for 15-20 minutes at 350f/ 180c / Gas 4 till firm and light brown. Place on a wire rack and sprinkle with caster sugar while warm.

Tip – to keep shortbread fresh and crisp, place in a plastic bag when cool and then in an airtight tin.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:59 pm »
Has anyone tried the shortbread recipe yet...

I'll be making it tomorrow along with a clootie dumpling to bring the sparkly new year in with  :)

Shawn123

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
hi,...
very great recipes are shared here,..
i really appreciate this,..
thanks,..

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23:41 pm »
have this in the oven as i type.......cant believe how quick and easy it is! only hope it tastes as good!  thanks

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
Well townie, I decided to try your shortbread. what you neglected to say in your recipe was that the amount would feed  five thousand. suffice it to say that you have ruined my new years resolution as it is so delicious that I have eaten quite a lot of it !

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »
erm....ditto here!  yummy though eh?

LouHen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:50 pm »
[quote author=Townie link=topic=52.msg225#msg225 date=1194210790]
Scottish Shortbread

INGREDIENTS
8 ozs (225g) Plain Flour
4 ozs (100g) Cornflour
4 ozs (100g) Icing Sugar
8 ozs (225g) Butter

METHOD

either….

Or

[/quote]

LouHen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »

I agree, this is a great recipe......try custard powder instead of cornflour, it's lovely!

Scottish Shortbread

INGREDIENTS
8 ozs (225g) Plain Flour
4 ozs (100g) Cornflour
4 ozs (100g) Icing Sugar
8 ozs (225g) Butter

METHOD

either….

Or

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »
well i made these just now and they are yummy

they are currently still warm, don't know if any will make it to cold  ;D ;D ;D

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:50 am »
I feel like such a failure. :'(
I tried making these on Tues night and I put all the ingredients into the food processor and whizzed and all I got was very fine breadcrumbs :-\ I had to add more butter and make a determined effort to squidge everything together with my hands.
The final result tasted great but I wonder if the butter I used was too cold? How long do you have to whizz it for? I do need to try it again so a couple more pointers (for the thicko!) would be great! :)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:46 am »
i don't have a food processor so did mine in a bowl with a fork and it bound together great i used butter that was approaching room temperature to make it more workable by hand.

am scheduled to do another batch this weekend due to demand from kids!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS