Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My ewe has a lump on her face  (Read 4240 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
My ewe has a lump on her face
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:37 pm »
One of my ewes has a lump about the size of a golf ball on the side of her face just below her jaw line. She seems to be eating ok, and is not showing any signs of distress. Has anyone any ideas please?

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Re: My ewe has a lump on her face
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:03:05 pm »
Have you a photo? hows her teath - is it feed?
Sheep

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:32 am »
Dr Google isn't all that accurate, even with a photo. A lump as described could be anything from as suggested due to a bad  tooth to bottle jaw (fluke), CLA, Actinobaccilus (wooden tongue), etc etc.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »
Hi, I,m new on here, one of my ewes had a lump like this 2 weeks ago - as she is a pet, I called vet out.  She had antibiotic injections for 5 days, abcess burst on third day and has now healed.  One of my wethers had CLA about 3 years ago - again as he is a pet I was able to poultice and bandage it to stop infecting the others.  After about 4 months it burst and released a huge hard tennis ball sized lump and he has been fine since.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »
what breed is she?  Texels seem prone to lumps on the face - usually abscesses.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS