Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MICRO/MINI POT BELLIED/PET PIGS FOR SALE - THE FAMOUS "LITTLE PIGS".....  (Read 9553 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: MICRO/MINI POT BELLIED/PET PIGS FOR SALE - THE FAMOUS "LITTLE PIGS".....
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 06:06:36 pm »
I should explain that this is the Accidental pet pig.  Not that we would have had a pet pig, and we do have normal pigs so he has company, he just prefers humans.

He is very clean.  We often leave him indoors whilst we go shopping never have to worry about him, and he keeps the dog company.   

For anyone considering a pig as a pet they are easier than cats, dont shed, dont scratch the furniture (although he does eat cushions given the chance) dont spray, and now he is bigger doesnt climb on to laps.  Ours sleeps in the barn at night.

And yes those farts are obnoxious.  Never have him indoors after he has raided the hen house for eggs!!!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
HM I think you've got the right idea though. He sleeps outside and is with his 'own kind' for much of the time - and that's how a pig should be  ;D. Of course every one of us that keeps them, either for meat or breeding considers them a 'pet' but yours is a very, very different situation to people who are looking to buy a mini pig, to keep like a dog (and show off their status perhaps?) when they've possibly no idea exactly what they're taking on and haven't really got the experience or suitable space for them.
He's VERY cute by the way  ;D ;D ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:42 pm »
our 8 week old weaners could poo for britian. it would have to be a very large cat litter tray.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »
I hand reared a tamworth. It obviously had to live in my house, for ease of night feeds, and my sanity. He slept in a dog cage in the kitchen and was cleaned out every morning but he was stinking! He stayed until I got him on the weetabix.
He was brilliant and would sleep with the dogs throughout the day and lie infront of the fire in the evening. He was as clean as a pup and could possibly be house trained but not for me! Pigs are for outside, they have long snouts to dig and thick skin to survive the cold.
I did love my wee Horace, but we ate him last Xmas! Yum

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 06:33:55 pm »
Oooo you're so bad ! LOL!  ;D ;D ;D

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 06:44:40 pm »
When you see it written down, you think heartless cow!
I loved him but he was getting too big and strong to "play with". He was always for meat, I deliberately castrated him so I wouldn't be tempted to keep him as a boar.
The other worse bit is that our local school used him in their project and weighed him every week and measured him. They too ate him!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 06:48:28 pm »
No, I don't for one minute think heartless cow !
It just made me laugh, cos the potted history of my pigs sounds similar, people are enthralled by the stories of all they got up to, then the look on their faces when they ask if I've still got them and my reply is "yeah, there's still some of them in the freezer" ho ho ho - the joys of smallholding !

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 06:51:58 pm »
There is still a few people that think he went to a petting zoo! I just couldn't tell them he was in my freezer!
But life goes on, lambing starts in 3 weeks!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »
LOL ! My greengrocer's mum was the same, wouldn't give me their waste if she thought I'd eat them, little does she know her son enjoyed the best chops he's ever had  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 08:35:29 am »
Its what they are born for to be eaten.  Digby is far too fat to eat!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS