Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: green peace - really  (Read 9547 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
green peace - really
« on: September 23, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »
i got an email from greenpeace today...heres an extract...highway robbery if you ask me! glad it wasnt mine.  ::)

I'm on top of a coal train right now with 49 ordinary people, who believe so passionately that we need to stop climate change, we've stopped a train reaching Cottam power station in Nottinghamshire. We flagged it down at 2.30pm and right now, we’re shovelling coal off the train.
It’s pretty dirty work but I’m here with good friends, and we know it’s the right thing to do.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: green peace - really
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:17:27 pm »
they sound Barmy, no doubt they drove there…  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »
I admire folk that go out and work for a cause (so long as no one gets hurt). We should admire activists rather than do them down - very often they're doing our dirty work for us.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:20:01 pm »
More info here.

British Transport Police said it was responding to an incident.
A life-sized replica polar bear has been placed on the tracks at the front of the train, preventing it from moving.
:roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »
are they going to shift 1500 tonnes with a spade in one day? will need more 50 people, theyl be knackered  :eyelashes:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:34:15 pm »
Can't the police just move the polar bear.......I am sure plenty of Police responded to the emergency on the line.. and it can't be that heavy...can just imagine the driver reporting a polar bear on the line.  At least it beats the usual "train is delayed due to leaves on the line"!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:11:00 am »
I admire folk that go out and work for a cause (so long as no one gets hurt). We should admire activists rather than do them down - very often they're doing our dirty work for us.

I have been a member of Green Peace for years, dragged into it by an elder brother who was an active member. I know it sounds a bit silly but if you can spare a pound a week you may actually help save this little planet of ours.
The polar bear on the line and other seemingly mad escapades are done to make people aware of what is going on.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:20:44 am »
Coal is used to generate, power stations, amongst other things, yet we use the electricity to communicate, via the internet that runs off electricity, as for admiring activists, i have no problem admiring their views, but their actions are normally paid by us in bigger bills, someone will , in the long run, will have to pay for the police attendance, and the coal,

look at the guy, when they broke into his Smallholding and released all the wild boar, many ended up getting shot, then there was the mink release…loads of wildlife died, and many of the mink where killed,

at the end of the day, we live in a democracy, not all laws will please everyone, so in this case, No, i don't admire the law breakers

they should be lobbying parliament every week ..we pay enough through fuel, and tax's to contribute research to help the climate ,, the funny thing is…the amount we use, would make very little difference to what China, and many of the far eastern countries use….

these activists , would have used electricity and  fuel, to organise this event…the very thing produced by the material they want banned, ….total hypocrites ..

just my view  ;D

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:30 am »
I think it was animal rights activists who released the pigs and mink  and I have scant time for them. The destructi0n of the polar ice cap will be a bit more devastating I think.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:12 am »
Sack the train driver for stopping for a stuffed bear, bloody stupid. :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:13:04 am »
The polar bear on the line and other seemingly mad escapades are done to make people aware of what is going on.

You'l like this then Devonlady  ;) .

I once went for a job interview for BP down in their corporate towers in London.

I was late getting to the interview because a couple of polar bears were guarding the entrance and not letting people in! The interviewer's opening line was "Seah, whot did you get in your hay-levels?". When I explained we did Highers in Scotland instead, he replied "My gwaandson lives in Eeeedinbrughh and heee did hay-levels. Does that mean yeww didn't gew to a pwivate skewl then?".  When I said I hadn't, he responded "Eaugh. Haw dissappointing"!!

Needless to say, I didn't get the job!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

You'l like this then Devonlady  ;) .

I once went for a job interview for BP down in their corporate towers in London.

I was late getting to the interview because a couple of polar bears were guarding the entrance and not letting people in! The interviewer's opening line was "Seah, whot did you get in your hay-levels?". When I explained we did Highers in Scotland instead, he replied "My gwaandson lives in Eeeedinbrughh and heee did hay-levels. Does that mean yeww didn't gew to a pwivate skewl then?".  When I said I hadn't, he responded "Eaugh. Haw dissappointing"!!

Needless to say, I didn't get the job!  :roflanim:

;D ;D

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:52:35 am »
I think it was animal rights activists who released the pigs and mink  and I have scant time for them. The destructi0n of the polar ice cap will be a bit more devastating I think.

I do agree with the ice cap melting being devastating, but this has happened a few times before, yes i agree mankind has maybe speeded up the process, but laws are laws…activists are activists…
i have a wonderful friend, who more than likely has green piece tattooed on his chest, he is a true gentlemen and we have great debates,  ;D but living in a democracy, means we can vote for change,

my biggest gripe with many of these activists are, ..they use the product that they are fighting against to promote their cause,

on face book just the other day, some girl who is a model, told me, she would not support, this ALS ice bucket challenge, simply because they experiment on animals…i just asked, has she ever researched the research on make up… thats different she said, thats part of my work…..  :huff:

like i said, i have no problems with their thoughts or beliefs, but all actions , should be non hypocritical ….

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:07 am »
I think it's a bit daft to suggest that climate change activists shoudl stop using electricity, frankly.

I also don't agree that just because there's a law that we should mindlessly agree with it and not protest gainst it. Otherwise, we women and most men wouldn't have the vote.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:00 am »
I think it's a bit daft to suggest that climate change activists shoudl stop using electricity, frankly.

I also don't agree that just because there's a law that we should mindlessly agree with it and not protest gainst it. Otherwise, we women and most men wouldn't have the vote.

Good point, well made.

Some so-called activists are nothing more than mercenaries, with no agenda other than doing a job they're paid to do.  As far as I know, Greenpeace activists do not fall into this category.

I bet the folks on the train *do* minimise their use of fossil fuels.  I have known a lot of very green people and whilst yes most do use cars when they have to, they mostly do go to some lengths to avoid doing so.  (Conversions to Autogas, car sharing, using public transport unless completely infeasible, boycotting air travel, minimising the number and length of journeys, driving economically, etc, etc.)  Most of them make me feel humbled by their dedication and lack of hypocrisy.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS