Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheepdog chasing cars and tractors  (Read 3958 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
sheepdog chasing cars and tractors
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:27:53 pm »
HI EVERYONE :D Happy new year to all, as stated above sorry its been so long since i've been on, its been so busy here and to add to it all our laptop broke, im on my father in-law's!!!!!!! hope everyone had a wonderfull christmass and hope things are going well on your holdings. Our  :goat: and :pig: have settled in well our goats are named milly and molly a toggenborg and a british white sannen we love them!!!!! great escapee's!!!!!! we are looking to put them in a paddock area any suggestions on fence height would be great ;) shep our sheep :dog: is mad to chase cars any tips on how to stop this would be great our  :chook: and eddie (cockerel) has seemed to make through the worst of the winter but insisted spending most of their time outn in the freezing cold!!!!! anyone else got  :chook: like these!!!! anyway thats enough from me glad to be back on website have missed it! Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

sandy

Re: sheepdog chasing cars and tractors
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »
Hello, it's hard work with animals this time of year. THree of our Black rocks roost in a tree and everymorning I expect to see them frozen somewhere but no, their all present and correct so far, the poo piles up a bit as its too difficult to get too, had a go today and got fed up with the different droppings......anyway, nice to see old friends on here again....welcome back

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:49 am »
Our two are car chasers too. We never found a solution other than to be vigilant and leash them then wait for them to get old.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:36 am »
Collie and terrier car chasers don't get old - they get run over  ;) ;D ;D

Wish I had the answer, a lot of these breeds seem to do it.  You can stop a dog continually barking by training it to bark on command - I've done that with Allez. But somehow I don't think that would work with car chasing.  I have heard of people tying their dogs to their bumpers in America and driving off slowly but whether that would work ( or be PC in the UK for that matter) I don't know.

Hope that's not inane p!$h, by the way  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks everyone!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:20 pm »
I think it's natural for collies to chase / herd - cars, bikes etc. Doesn't make it any less dangerous though. Maybe one of those electric shock things would work. So woudl a good recall but the cars were always more interesting than us.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »
A friend of ours once told us that his wife had one advantage over his Border collie........she didn't chase motorbikes!! ;)
Seriously though, you could try keeping him on a lead and taking him to town or somewhere and being VERY firm about cars. I did this with my daughter's German Shepherd and it worked for him.
Good luck!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »

I wrote my car off several years ago avoiding a border collie which was a car chaser, only he had decided that he could not catch them so would run out as they approached instead. Lost my excess and no claims, insurance say I should have have run him over but instinct made me brake and skid on a muddy road. I later spoke to other people who had had the same experience with this dog but the owner was adamant that he had not run out at all. Luckily neither my daughter who was in the car with me nor I were hurt, I must say I felt like going back and shooting it (or the owner).
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »
One of my ex-neighbours had terriers who were allowed to roam (just a small hamlet so as mine were all kenneled or in the house not a great problem.  But one day my sister was visiting and had a bad fright when one of them chased her car up the road for about quarter of a mile then grabbed her leg as she got out at my house.   When I went to tell them about it they denied it was theirs and said they were inside.  But there were no other terriers in the hamlet.  They never spoke to me again.  Not that it bothered me much.  People like that I can quite happily live without!  So my opinion if it's worth anything is to retrain asap
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:38 pm »
Our collies never chase cars- they're too scared of them in general. One of the Jack Russell's we had used to though. She lived to be quite old! Her faverourite was the post van which she tried to bite the front bumper of every day. He never got her oddly enough- I think he would rather she bit the van than him (she had a habit of biting men after being kicked by one when she was pregnant and lost all her puppies). 

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:57:01 am »
Thanks everyone who replied to my blog,very gratefull me and my wife were laughing at some as they were funny.
I shall persist with shep as he is only a young dog and best friend!!!!.
Funny to read that some chooks roost up in the trees, I'm surprised too that they haven't frozen in this cold weather!!!.
I'm proud of our animal's making it through this harsh weather as I'm sure you guy's are proud of your's too.
If anyone has any suggestions about fence height for goat paddock I'd love to hear as we are new to goat keeping!
but would also app some goat husbandry tips too!!! our goats are a toggenborg and a British white sannen
well I'm going out to tend to the land and animals!!! p.s. we just got our new laptop!!!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »
Hey Langdon,

We just have standard 4ft sheep netting in our field, with a single strand of wire along the top. None of our goats have ever jumped over it, however occasionally they may try and wriggle through a loose bit at the edge. We have double fencing as well, which I guess helps, picture of our fencing in here- http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,4349.0.html

You have to find out what way of keeping goats fits best with you- ours are kept quite intensively for breeding and show.

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »
This doesn't help give an answer to car chasing dogs I'm afraid, but it was my dad's solution and it's nothing if not amusing !  ;) ;D ;D ;D
We used to buy milk direct from a farm (many years ago when it was allowed  ;)) and the 2 collies there loved chasing you all the way from the road end right into the yard - except they would bite at the front of the car - raditor grill, headlights etc. Our car at the time had the wee scooshers for the front lights so my dad (in his wisdom  ;D) turned them to point outwards - result, every time they came near the front of the car he would squirt them with a mix of water and lemon juice - they soon stopped chasing us, but I don't know about everyone else !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »
That is one clever Dad!

johnharris

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:57:54 am »
We had a dog who chased the postman on his bike.
It was a real problem, so we took the bike off him..... problem solved....LOL

John

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:58:56 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS