Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bit of B&B advice PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 10037 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Bit of B&B advice PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 10:09:20 am »
Sandy I know of a B & B in St Andrews (and incidentally it charges 4 star hotel prices) where the owners do not live on site nor do they have a memebr of staff stay in. Infact their home is roughly 6 miles from the business, I have no idea how they get insurance, or guests for that matter?

bamford6

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 10:22:21 am »
we done it at painting Daven same thing .they think iffy they pay thats it do Whit they like ENE way nae do Holiday lets 4 star house and yes it does get trashed glasses broken fire backits broken .we had some 1 tip the bed on its side and put a dog cage in then fed them bones all up the walls bits off meat .we no nae the more money they have the more hassle we will have .Christmas holidays is the worst open fires boot the Dorie shut with there ski boot etc all the best

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 02:00:57 pm »
I still think you should set up House Rules and put them in each room.  That would avoid you having to confront any of them as you don't like that.  Yes, you are soft. 

I think you have a good deal with the phone man but you have slightly miscalculated your Broadband.  You will be paying line rental to UniSys not BT so what you use is the basic Broadband figure - that salesman worked it out for you but even if it is £19 (I'm sure he said it was £32 for broadband alone) you need to add 17.5% because it's going up again on 1st January - so that would be £22.32 - quite a lot more than others as far as I can see.  Check this out - http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/bundleCalc.asp
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
Another thing, Sandy - you don't need a huge amount of broadband width unless you are downloading films and programmes to store on your PC.  So if there are two levels the lower one will usually suffice.  Calum can probably advise on that better than me.

By the way, I have those baby bottles for the puppies
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:57:43 pm »
Don't the Health and Safety regulations say that in case of a fire you have to know who is in and who is out.  Otherwise, (God forbid) is there is a fire, the poor firemen will be looking for a person who is not there.  Maybe this is the way you need to slant it.  I stayed in many a hotel where you have to hand in your key if you go out for the day.  If it is a nice family run B&B, it is only courteous to say, from the client, that you don't want breakfast.  The card, with Rules of the House, seems like the best idea. 

sandy

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »

I did have rules etc in the bedrooms but took them out to update brochers and phone numbers....I still have the original, I now just put in the NO Smoking sign, not had any smokers causing trouble for ages now. I did think of DO Not disturb signs for people but they leave them on or don't put them on, I try and keep it as much as possible like a family house and it works, when Doganjo popped over one night as she was thrown into the Only having phone line with that company, thier broad band is more expensive, the figures I gave were with BT.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »
Don't the Health and Safety regulations say that in case of a fire you have to know who is in and who is out.  Otherwise, (God forbid) is there is a fire, the poor firemen will be looking for a person who is not there.

I'm beginning to wonder about that one. I've stayed in very few hotels where they wanted me to let them know if I was in or out. In one case I tried to give them information about the person who was going to be sharing the room with me for their records and I received a rather blank "why do I care?" response.

But regardless, it's still a good line to use if reason alone doesn't seem to be working for you, Sandy!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

I did have rules etc in the bedrooms but took them out to update brochers and phone numbers....I still have the original, I now just put in the NO Smoking sign, not had any smokers causing trouble for ages now. I did think of DO Not disturb signs for people but they leave them on or don't put them on, I try and keep it as much as possible like a family house and it works, when Doganjo popped over one night as she was thrown into the Only having phone line with that company, thier broad band is more expensive, the figures I gave were with BT.

Have you missed a bit of that sentence out Sandy?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »
Only having phone line with that company, thier broad band is more expensive, the figures I gave were with BT.

Yes, BT is £19 plus 17.5% for Broadband - £22.32, other Broadbands are at most £20.69 and that is the Green one which is always dearer.

Your line rental will be with the new company.

sandy

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
Yes..I had to stop to go to the door!!! anyway,  you popped around and our guests offered to share thier Gin and tonic with us, they want to visit after Isaly has had her pups, they are great people, love them, love most of our customers!!!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »
Hiya defo for house rules and remove them for constractors.

Possible making a comment about staying in all day please info us for h & S rules.

and internet we uses talk talk as they are the best deal around a lot better than bt

Linz

sandy

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 08:32:57 pm »
 :Dwill do!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS