Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old is too old for first kidding?  (Read 3337 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
How old is too old for first kidding?
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:13:33 pm »
We have 2 lovely BA girls.  Simone, our nanny has milked through since we got her 2.5 years ago and Ashia has yet to be put in kid, basically because Simone has met all our milking needs.  Now I'm thinking perhaps we should put Ashia in kid as we would keep any kids (even boys as I'm desperate for a harness goat!) but is she too old at 3 for a first kidding?

Could I dry up Simone?  Or rather would Simone benefit from a 'rest'.

Any suggestions/advice?

:love: :goat: :goat:   

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: How old is too old for first kidding?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:46:36 pm »
Pom was four when I first put her in kid.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »
Because I have a lot of goats, I cannot breed from them all.  My big white BS, Poppy kidded this time at 4.  Big strapping boy and girl, and she has made a lovely mum!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »
The problem is not the kidding but getting older maidens in kid.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »
I have females of 7 and older, who are only served once by the male, and get caught.  Poppy was only put with Darren once last Autumn.  Although, I agree, it may not always be that easy.  But, nothing to lose by giving it a go.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:09 am »
I would say 7 is too old. Up until then, give it a try. The older they are the harder it may be to get them in kid. But 3 is no age at all. I have one who is 3 now who I am going to put in kid, so she will be 4 (well nearly 4) when she kids.

Beth

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »
Thanks all for your advice :)  Next question:  Anyone in Norfolk got a BA billy I can loan? :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:36:36 am »
Thanks all for your advice :)  Next question:  Anyone in Norfolk got a BA billy I can loan? :D

It would be easier for you (and the billy) to just take your female to the billy's home place for a quick mating - it will be over in a flash! So that you can get your girls into season (if there is no boy nearby they often don't come in until late in the year) ask the billy owner to send you a "Billy rag" - an old towel that has been rubbed against him and double packed in plastic bags and can be sent through the post that way. Just keep it closed up and waft in front of your girls a couple of times a day. If they are in season it is obvious when they sniff the rag (tail going like no tomorrow, shouting or just bleating in a funny way, damp behind etc) - then you set off to see the boy within a few hours preferably.

You may want to notice the first season and then can advance plan for next one three weeks later - and give a bit more warning to billy owner.

Do you need to breed for pure BA? there may be more breeders of BS or BT's nearby.

Your girls will probably benefit from a quick drop of lice treatment when coming back from a close encounter with another goat...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS