Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toxovax and Enzovax - don't forget  (Read 6620 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Toxovax and Enzovax - don't forget
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »
If you are plannng to vaccinate against Toxo and EAE, don't forget you need to do it at least four weeks (EAE) / three weeks (Toxo) before tupping. The vaccines are made to order so you will need to order them from your vet in plenty time - they have a very short use by date as well. Mine is at the surgery and has to be used by 13th September.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Toxovax and Enzovax - don't forget
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:29:15 pm »
If new to sheep keeping remeber that if you buy from high health flocks and don't keep cats you probably won't need to vaccinate.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:33:29 pm »
If new to sheep keeping remeber that if you buy from high health flocks and don't keep cats you probably won't need to vaccinate.

and none of your neighbours have or get kittens between now and lambing...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »

and none of your neighbours have or get kittens between now and lambing...

Yes, I had this discussion with my vet, who's a farmer's son from Cumbria and some relation to your BH, Sally, I seen to recall. I said we had old cats and didn't seem to have either. My ewes are all home bred.

He said his Dad definitely had no bother with these things either but once he vaccinated, his lambing % went way up  ;D

It's not expensive, it's a once in a lifetime vaccination - seems daft not to. Abortions would give me the heeby jeebies. I was freaking about Schmallenberg  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
I didn't realise it's a once-off.   :thinking:   Shall talk to vet, thanks Rosemary  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
thanks for the reminder Rosemary - we are doing ours this time - had suspected enzo for past couple of years - its seen a lot around our area.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
we've just done our new ewes and retained ewe lambs from last year. My vets were great last year and spoke to the vaccine rep and somehow managed to get them to pay for my flock to be tested for enzootic abortion and toxo   :thumbsup: We hadn't had an abortion problem in the past but we did have one ewe the previous year abort late on (probably just one of those things!) so we thought it wise to check. A number of our ewes tested positive for antibodies to toxo and chlamydial abortion; in our case I felt it wise then to vaccinate all ewes in our breeding flock. We don't have cats on our yard but I guess our house cats could wonder down the road and several other farms do have cats in the neighbourhood. My vet said the vaccination immunity would last out 3 years

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »

It's not expensive,

At £90 for a twenty dose vial.... I thought it was a bit on the expensive side!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:12 am »
I thought Toxovax only lasted 2 years and Enzo 3? Suppose for some sheep, if they are that way out that is a lifetime though!!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:38 am »
Yes one dose wouldn't last ours a lifetime but giving it every few years make sense for us & fits in to our programme. I don't think they're a cheap vaccine but I weighed it against the loss of lambs & stress on the ewe (and me ::)) and decided it was worth it for our girls. You could always have a sample of your sheep blood tested to see if it's endemic to your flock? The only thing which is a bit annoying is that we buy new stock in during Late August, then vaccinate for abortion and have to wait two weeks before giving schmallenberg vaccine and then wait three weeks for the rams to go in. I would prefer to put the rams in sooner really. Hopefully in the next few years we'll not need to buy ewes as we'll have some good quality home bred ewe lambs as replacements and they can all be vaccinated earlier in the summer

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:53:48 am »
Is schmallenberg vac available this year?? I had heard not but may have that completely wrong though!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:35 am »
Yes it's definitely available but my vets are finding it tricky to source the 25 dose bottle. I think 2 companies are doing it this year whereas last year it was just the one

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »
Yes it's definitely available but my vets are finding it tricky to source the 25 dose bottle. I think 2 companies are doing it this year whereas last year it was just the one

Ah ok. Perhaps I heard the bit about the 25 dose bottle ????. Really should listen more carefully!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS