Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Yorkshire!  (Read 9938 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hello from Yorkshire!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:36 pm »
I googled Maremmas as it's not a breed I've come across. Lovely looking dogs.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 08:37:06 am »

Sophie - am guessing from your user name that you are in Leeds? Lived in and around there for 10 years (Headingley, Roundhay, Barwick) before going down to Wales for a few years. Very glad to be back in Yorkshire - feels like home.  :)Have seen your intro - you have quite a collection of animals - and Caucasian Shepherds! Beautiful dogs. I have Maremmas - well just one at the moment - but have had them for over 20 years and bred a couple of litters. Our current boy is 9 and from our last litter. Trouble has always been finding appropriate homes for them of course - not a breed for everyone. I guess it is the same with the Caucasians!

Yes inbetween Pudsey and Tong  ;D

Can't beat Yorkshire :) Yes got quite a lot in at the moment and lots of babies about which is lovely!

The Caucasians are beautiful, but definetely not for the faint hearted  ;D Maremmas are gorgeous! Do you use them as working LSDs or just pets? Are you not breeding any more? Yes agree totally they are not a breed for everyone (same with all LSD's I think!).. we have to watch who the caucasians go to- need plenty of land, a firm hand and somewhere where their guarding and barking wont upset people! Put a picture of our youngest female Mir learning the ropes when she was 6 months... excuse her coat- hard to keep clean in the pig pens!  ;D

Do you have any photo's of past/present Maremmas?

Donkeys are horrible grumpy creatures, don't go down that route  ;) We keep Herdwick sheep which live out year round and need no interference whatsoever with the exception of worming etc.. may be worth looking into?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:40:18 am by SophieLeeds »
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »
 :wave:
Hello!
We are in East Yorkshire (but hoping to move to North Lincs...)
We have goats (angoras, boers, golden guernseys and (soon) bagots), 2 geese, 2 rabbits 4 dogs and a welsh pony.

Welcome from further east on M62

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
Thanks again for the welcomes - and hello!

Have never had the opportunity to work the Maremmas - they have just been companions - but who knows in future? My last litter was 9 years ago - will never say never but would need to find a really good female and a decent stud dog. Currently very little choice in the UK - last female came from Italy and was a complete joy - but an expensive thing to do and don't see us doing it again. So will have to wait and see.

Attaching a photo of my Italian girl and my older bitch -  both sadly dead now - the pup is the sister of my current boy who belongs to a friend but was never bred from - and one of our boy.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:54 am »
Lovely looking dogs and that pup looks like a little lamb  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 10:21:42 am »
Hello and welcome from Skipton, North Yorks  :wave:
Go see lots of different sheep and see which you like best. We have a but of a variety but mainly texels and Texel x's
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 06:01:12 pm »
Hello and welcome from near Durham  :wave:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:09 am »
Hi
From South leeds currently trying to source a small plot of land/woodland close to home for rearing pigs probably OSB's
I also work in wetherby so looking up there aswell but would then still have to travel on my days off to tend to my pigs!
Anyone know what I should be paying to rent some land/woodland per acre

Thanks in advance
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
Hi

we are in East Yorkshire but originally from Leeds. I breed Ryeland sheep both white and coloured and they make fab pets / lawnmowers. Very friendly and placid. I did breed Dexter cows for a while but my experience has been that sheep are far easier on the pasture, the fences and the pocket as well as being easy to handle.

I also breed Croad langshan bantams which are another quiet, laid back breed that dont destroy the garden.

I used to work at the rare breeds farm at Temple Newsam many years ago and looked after pigs, milking goats, sheep, cattle horses, turkeys, chickens, ducks and doves. It's changed a bit since then but its not a bad idea to visit and find out about the different rare breeds before you buy.

I have a friend who breeds donkeys and highland cattle which are also good natured grass cutters.

Good luck

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
Donkeys are horrible grumpy creatures, don't go down that route  ;) We keep Herdwick sheep which live out year round and need no interference whatsoever with the exception of worming etc.. may be worth looking into?
Donkeys are most certainly not horrible or grumpy under normal circumstances. ???
Their natural disposition is to be friendly, trustful and forgiving and it takes an awful lot of abuse of their good nature to make them anything else. And even then, when treated kindly they will forgive a lot of ill treatment.
 I live near Selby - not a million miles from you - and you're welcome, if you're in the area, to come and see what donkeys are really like.  :hshoe:
 :bouquet:   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:01:10 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 03:58:04 pm »
Donkeys are most certainly not horrible or grumpy under normal circumstances. ???
Their natural disposition is to be friendly, trustful and forgiving and it takes an awful lot of abuse of their good nature to make them anything else. And even then, when treated kindly they will forgive a lot of ill treatment.
 I live near Selby - not a million miles from you - and you're welcome, if you're in the area, to come and see what donkeys are really like.  :hshoe:
 :bouquet:

As is usual with text, you've read the meaning of what I wrote wrongly... That's why I followed it with a wink.

I also do not, and will not ever abuse animals- and feel quite upset by what you're implying.

Glad you enjoy your donkeys.
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »
Wind your neck in Sophie  :innocent: - I'm not in any way suggesting that you have been mistreating donkeys!
I took it that you had met some that appeared to be grumpy etc, and didn't want people on here who are not aquainted with donkeys, to think that that was in any way the norm.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS