Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Otter attack  (Read 12302 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Otter attack
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
Anyone ever had problems with otters killing their chucks !  :chook:
Got 8 of mine, 5 injured 3 no heads and eaten into  >:( Had to put them out of their misery.
 Any ideas  how to keep them away ? Bit hole in the  chicken wire fence size of a side plate. :o
Neighbour has seen it about.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Otter attack
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:42:55 am »
Same as everything else. . . . .electricity!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:56 am »
Are you sure it was an otter - we have mink around here and they will go for chickens.

You probably have no choice but electric netting, mains powered. Battery won't do it.

We have used it on all ort poultry, although not always switched on. But stoats can still get in... and they decimate the hens inside their "safe" house at  night.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »
 :hug: 

I agree it's more likely to be mink than otter.  A neighbour had a mink get through a small hole in her fence and kill all but one of her choox.  So far the replacements have all been fine.  The wire she is using is normal chain-link - much stronger than 'chicken wire'.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:30 pm »
We have sea otters and  2 near neighbours with hens close to water both chased an otter out of the hen pen after hearing a commotion , devastation in both cases, ducks and hens

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:47 am »
Otters WILL take chickens, I agree it's possible that it's a mink (headless carcasses is a classic sign) but it's definitely not impossible that it was an otter.
Agree electric netting is the best way to deter them.

:hug: sorry for your loss  :hug:

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:09:34 am »
I think it more likely a fox, but electric fencing should do the trick either way, could put weldmesh around pen for better  security than chicken wire. Chased a fox out of our barn couple of nights ago, grrr!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »
I apologise for starting this thread again but is it against the law to shoot otters, or mink, if they get your livestock?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:20 am »
I believe that you can shoot mink.

The European otter is the only native UK otter species. It’s a European Protected Species and is also fully protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
You’re breaking the law if you:
•capture, kill, disturb or injure otters (on purpose or by not taking enough care)
•damage or destroy a breeding or resting place (deliberately or by not taking enough care)
•obstruct access to their resting or sheltering places (deliberately or by not taking enough care)
•possess, sell, control or transport live or dead otters, or parts of otters
If you’re found guilty of an offence you could be sent to prison for up to 6 months and be fined £5,000 for each offence.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »
Ah but can you kill it,legally, if it is killing your chickens?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:02:49 pm »
Ah but can you kill it,legally, if it is killing your chickens?

Definitely not
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:37:37 pm »
If I must say the law is pathetic if something is attacking the animals you should be able to shoot it. If it was a wolf killing your sheep you could shoot it. What is wrong with the law in Britain on shooting wildlife. :rant:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:29 am »
If I must say the law is pathetic if something is attacking the animals you should be able to shoot it. If it was a wolf killing your sheep you could shoot it. What is wrong with the law in Britain on shooting wildlife. :rant:

It's because so many species were persecuted almost to extinction. I lost some ducks to a Scottish Wild Cat - would you think it acceptable to shoot one of them because I certainly don't
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
If an animal keeps on killing your stock you have to kill it whether rare or not because once it has a taste for your animals it will be bad for everyone else as well as you and it will teach its offspring. I'd rather shoot the troublesome animal than having to shoot a troop of them.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:44 am »
If an animal keeps on killing your stock you have to kill it whether rare or not because once it has a taste for your animals it will be bad for everyone else as well as you and it will teach its offspring. I'd rather shoot the troublesome animal than having to shoot a troop of them.

The animals you would like to kill have been here for a lot longer than you,your sheep,chickens or whatever you keep and with that in mind if you are having trouble id say you need to decide wether the dangerous spot you occupy is safe enough for the animals kept on it and if the answer is no then move !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS