Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to bone or not to bone....this is the question!  (Read 3301 times)

gaztafari

• Joined Nov 2009
to bone or not to bone....this is the question!
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »
I am trying to cure a ham for the first time and don't have enough room in my fridge to put it into a box/carton/container, but I figured I might just be able to squeeze a big bag in...Or.... Does anyone think it is cold enough to wet cure in a plastic container in the shed? I live up near staffs moorlands so it is pretty chilly at this time of year. Just one more thing...I have had a little go at butchering before now and not made a bad job of things, making my own bacon from the belly and back, but do you think that I should de-bone the ham, seeing it is my first time in dealing with a huge piece of meat? I've read so much in books etc that now my mind is all confused.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: to bone or not to bone....this is the question!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »
If it is cold enough and has plenty of salt around it you should be alright. Don't stint on the salt though!

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:44:35 pm »
if u are concerned, u could put the container in a polystyrine box and add ice packs a couple of times a day, i did that a couple of years ago and it worked out ok.
I bought a few so i could swap them round and they had time to refreeze.

good luck

mandy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:45:45 am »
You need to keep it to around 4 deg. c to avoid deterioration.  Bone it if you can, it allows you to push plenty of salt inside which helps in the curing.  Bet it will taste delicious
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:50:28 am by Hilarysmum »

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:35:56 am »
Oh home cured ham mmmmmmmmmm can i have the recipe? please please  :)
Legio Patria Nostre

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS