Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MP  (Read 2297 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
MP
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:22:04 am »
Read in yesterdays paper that MP's are getting a 9 pc pay rise. My OH has not had a pay rise in 7 years ! In the meantime everything has gone up and we just have to manage. this is an insult to the working man and woman of this country. Feeling mad and fed up.  >:(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: MP
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »
MSPs are taking 1% in line with other public service workers.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:46:28 pm »
I think I have read somewhere that MP's didn't want a pay rise, or not much of one anyway but that this was put through by an independent body.
Not sure it makes much sense to me though.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:09:07 pm »
As I understand it, an independent pay review body makes recommendations on MPs pay but Parliament has to accept these recommendations.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
Yes, a number of them are reported as saying that they didn't think it was right. How many of them will actually take it though. If they meant what they said maybe they could donate the extra to the food banks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:56 am »
As I understand it, an independent pay review body makes recommendations on MPs pay but Parliament has to accept these recommendations.
So as a majority they accepted the pay rise.  I doubt very much that any of them will do what our first Minister does.  A third of his whole salary is sent to charity.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:55 pm »

So as a majority they accepted the pay rise.  I doubt very much that any of them will do what our first Minister does.  A third of his whole salary is sent to charity.

That's nice of him. which charity?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »
I understand it is spread over a number of charities, some of them local to him. i don't know the details
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »
 The move by the Labour pair follows First Minister Alex Salmond’s decision to donate his Holyrood pay to a local charity.

A spokesman for Salmond said:

“Mr Salmond donated his gross Holyrood salary to a charitable trust to support youth and community causes in the North East of Scotland.  He is the first parliamentarian ever to do so, and this has resulted in over £50,000 of support to the Trust so far, benefiting over 70 local groups.

“On the First Minister’s current salary, it has been frozen at the April 2008 level, and will remain so through 2010/11 (as is the case for all Scottish Government ministers).  As said, Alex Salmond gives his gross MSP salary to the charitable trust (over £50,000 so far), plus last year’s MP pay rise.”

What a nice bloke  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »
Yes he is, I've met him three times  :excited: - first time was before he was much involved in politics - just a mere local council candidate!  :innocent:  Anyone who goes down on his knees in a good suit to comfort my worried dog can do no wrong in my eyes  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS