Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: clicking hocks in a shetland  (Read 10744 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
clicking hocks in a shetland
« on: November 22, 2009, 06:23:01 pm »
anyone have any idea what the cause is. im stopping off at the vets tommorrow to check. the choices i have found is its nothing more than gas in the joints to the start of arthritis. there is no swelling or heat. any ideas its in both backlegs. we only had her for a couple of months and she is 18 months.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: clicking hocks in a shetland
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:19:02 pm »
Do you mean clicking together (a conformation fault?) or each one clicking when she moves (lack of fluid in the joint?)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
the joint clicks apart from that there does not seem much wrong. the daughter is upset she likes to worry.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:36:44 pm »
So does she just walk along side the pony and listen for the clicking? ::) ::)

I suspect in one so young it is just possible that she may have arthritic joints, but then I am not a horse doctor.  That is purely a guess.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:44 pm »
I had a 4 year old fell/welsh pony that had clicking joints.  Also one of his stifle joints would lock when his back leg was lifted, so his leg was stiff and straight and then would canon back suddenly when the ligament sorted itself out.  Very common in youngsters especially native breeds.  I am guessing your Shetland has a similar thing going on - they grow out of it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »
I had an older Dales mare on loan, and her joints clicked.  She was never lame, and I had her three years with no problems.  It did worry me, but her owner said they had always clicked.  Did not stop her jumping etc. and like I say she had no problems.

It could be just that your pony is still growing, I have had problems in the past with locking stifles on my native ponies, but they all grew out of it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:14:28 pm »
My Highland has a bit of clicking - vet told me not to worry about it, he's fine. To be honest, I didn't notice it when I rode him, it was only when I satrted long reining him and was in he clicking region that I noticed.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:11:54 am »
thats what the vet said suggested a joint sup. any suggestions

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »
I suggest Simple System Total Eclipse - it's not specifically for joints but it's very good general supplement. And natural.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:13 pm »
Stifle problems can be common in Shetlands, I bought a lovely filly foal but had to have her put down as a two year old as the joint was out just about all the time and she became very distressed. Could not lie down and would walk in circles with the leg stuck. My vet thought she would grow out of it but instead became so bad that she had no life. I have a gelding that came back to live with us as both his owners are too ill to look after him, he took a bad fall last winter and hurt his back and stifle I put him on flexamine from Feedmark and it has work wonders. He has gone from not able to hardly move to acting like a youngster again, :horse:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »
thats good to hear about the gelding. she is not in any pain. likes running and as we spotted her clicking we put her and a friend in the byre for a couple of days so we can watch her. she was rolling about being very silly. so i just hope its nothing.and the sup will help, its all a learning process.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:54:44 pm »
My Mother's Mini Shetland colt had a slipping stifle. He did indeed grow out of it and by the time he was 5 was 100% thereafter.

Apple cider vinegar is good for joints, and good old fashioned boiled linseed - though Simple Systems do a pre-cooked linseed meal, which is less messy  ;)

My old hunter had DJD in his fetlocks, I fed him human grade MSM tablets (4 per day) they worked wonders for him.  :horse:

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Hardfeather

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »
I work on a Highland pony stud, and we have two ponies there at the moment with clicking hocks. One is a 2yr old, and the other is a 15yr old.

It doesn't seem to do them any harm, and they are both sound. The youngster went through some rigourous checks by the vet and he thought it nothing to worry about.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 09:53:59 am »
i have got them a special joint lick with all the things the vet suggested. i took her for a walk and the noise is not quite so bad the daughter reports one of the colts is doing the same. so it may just be the weather and age. i know im stiff and sore cold damp is not nice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS