Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Husband facing imminent bereavement - how can I help?  (Read 6745 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Husband facing imminent bereavement - how can I help?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »
Thank you. MiL responding well to palliative care at the hospice and pain is mostly under control. Her jaundice is getting worse but OH has moved on a lot in his acceptance of the inevitable. She is being very well looked after and Paul is able to see to the animals and then get away to visit daily. Although it's going to be awful when she passes, I feel at least she is comfortable and hopefully she will just drift off.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:05 pm »
Want to help you but have no words of wisdom - my BH and MIL are very close and one day ............. I understand your situation, hope a  :hug:  helps a little
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 09:04:58 am »
Maybe if he is reassured that she is comfortable and not in pain, he will be better able to accept the inevitable.  :hug:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:24 am »
Losing your mother takes a lot of getting used to no matter what age you are. You do though, eventually :hug: :hug: :bouquet:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
 :bouquet: can't offer better advice than plumseverywhere.  I'm sure with your preparation in place it will ease the journey. Don't forget to look after yourself too though.  :hug:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 12:15:08 am »
There is  booklet for kids and family left behind when some one dies in a car smash .
 It's by an organisation called " Brake " it explores at kiddies and adult levels the emotions shock and the natural cycle of life etc..

My father in law was in a head on mincemeat smash with a full bin lorry at about 65 mph and was burnt beyond reasonable recognition in the ensuing fire .

The nominated police incident officer asked me if I would like a copy  & as a result sent one to me , I read it four times .

I found that having got it and left it on plain view both my lass & our 12 yr. old read it several times .

I was then able to find a better common communication ground where I could also tell them that I loved and cared for them tremendously .
That whatever feelings or thought they had were perfectly normal.
This led to some of their thoughts and emotions being explored and put to bed rather than have then constantly upsetting themselves over certain aspects of life , the accident and the death .

It enabled us to talk freely about all manner of things related to not only Alec's death but also that of two aunts  a mother inlaw and a soon to die step mother.

We were then able to talk more about the taboos associated with death and in Munchkins words came to conclude , " That many people are so scared of dying that they forget to live" .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS