Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: freeze birds straight after the kill?  (Read 5129 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
freeze birds straight after the kill?
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »
I was offered some birds for the table which are going to be dispatched soon. I won't be able to pick them up asap, so the kind person offered to put them in the freezer straight away, feathers, guts and all. Can/should they be hung after thawing, any ideas what would be the best way forward?? I've got no idea if they can be hung at his place at all before as the wife is very sensitive about the birds she has raised and might not be able to bear the sight... :&> :chook:

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: freeze birds straight after the kill?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »
Sorry can't help but really keen to hear the answer
kirsty

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:58:38 am »
I shouldn't think it would make a difference whether they were hung for a day or two before or after freezing as freezing will halt any decomposition. The only thing is, you would have to take them out of freeze as and when you need them as you wouldn't be able to re-freeze once thawed, plucked etc. unless you cooked them all at once and put them back in as made-up dishes.

mr.pitt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Humberside
  • Im 24 and have been a butcher since leaving school
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:34:34 am »
it makes all the difference hanging any game before preperation...

1. the feathers are easily plucked, as the skin is too fresh and will tear as you pluck.
2. it lets the meat settle and become firm.
3. matures with age

The game bird should be gutted before hanging, then anywere up to a week the bird should be dressed, then frozen.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:57:44 am »
I am sorry to appear thick, but should one hang chickens and if so for how many days?

Timmo

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:35:35 am »
It is always best to dress and prepare the birds first.  Freezing whole can often taint the meat  as all the offel is left inside.  Also as far as chickens, normally in the commercial world they are not hung.  However we hang ours for a day or two especially if they are cockerels as the meat tends to relax a bit more, we have left some for 2 or 3 days and the taste does get alot more gamey, especially the older cocks.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:37 am »
Hello Hillary's Mum I know you asked about chicken I have not been to Eastern's I have been to CVF though a lot of times.The eggs are collected and sorted and placed in the incubators and hatched.Now the little ducklings are taken to the Nursery and grown on Then taken to the huge growing sheds where they are fattened.At 49 days they are caught taken to the Duck Factory hung by the feet in a special clip that is part of an endless chain their heads hand down and they pass through a high voltage stunner bled and on through a hot water bath and plucked They are then hand dressed and made presentable and drawn heads and feet etc has all been removed The neck and useable giblets are placed in a plastic bag the duck placed in a plastic bag that you purchases it in and it is sent to the freezers across the yard the whole thing hatch to oven ready in less than 50 days.The factory prep is about an hour live to freeze :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:19 pm »
Thanks   :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS