Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep housing  (Read 7787 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: sheep housing
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »
PVC stuff tends to crack if branches drop on it..or you get heavy handed with your loader.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »
awesome thanks @sallyintnorth
is this the sort of stuff?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Black-Corrugated-Bitumen-Sheet-950x2000mm/p/240039
Cheers Ed

Wickes is the only DIY retailer currently selling this professional quality BBA approved Onduline roofing system
• B&Q only sell the Coroline 2.6mm thick DIY grade sheet, as opposed to the Wickes Onduline manufactured professional grade 3mm thick sheet

So, yes :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »
A metre high at the front.. that's low even for crawling into. And under 5 foot deep, possibly less if that's an external measure.

I'd suggest you pop along to some garden centre or large B&Q and look at some kennels, garden sheds etc with a tape measure in your pocket to get a realistic idea of sizes.

There's usually a need to get into these things at some stage for repairs or cleaning

sorry i but that measurment wrong when i added it in MS paint, it should have been 1.5 m
would say 2m at the front and 1.5 at the back be better?
awesome thanks @sallyintnorth
is this the sort of stuff?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Black-Corrugated-Bitumen-Sheet-950x2000mm/p/240039
Cheers Ed

Wickes is the only DIY retailer currently selling this professional quality BBA approved Onduline roofing system
• B&Q only sell the Coroline 2.6mm thick DIY grade sheet, as opposed to the Wickes Onduline manufactured professional grade 3mm thick sheet

So, yes :)
thanks!  :thumbsup:
PVC stuff tends to crack if branches drop on it..or you get heavy handed with your loader.
i'm not known to have hands careful enough for brain surgery so knowing me i would end up throwing a massive metal hook or something else on it!
Cheers Ed

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »
sorry i but that measurment wrong when i added it in MS paint, it should have been 1.5 m
would say 2m at the front and 1.5 at the back be better?

Way more realistic :)

I knocked up a field shelter for my few pet sheep..out of stuff lying around. You'ld never move it mind... left over electricity poles which are thicker than telegraph ones and some tin sheets left over from another project plus a few more second hand ones to finish. And scrap timbers for cross bracing. 12 foot long to match the roof sheets and sloping from about 8.5 feet down to seven feet. Mosty because I'm over 6 foot 7 and got a dud back so bending isn't an easy option. the sheets stop about 6-8 inches above ground so plenty ventilation through there and the entry opening. It's really only in case of a heavy snow-fall nd i built the roof to take the weight of a lot more than a foot of snow on top (if my 18 stone can walk on it...)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »
fair enough, i'm about 5' 11" or so i think so not quite a giant like yourself and my bodies already creaking at the grand old age of 15! but i can still stoop and am quite happy to work in sheep s**t on my hands and knees  :P
Cheers Ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS