Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep housing  (Read 7788 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
sheep housing
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:15 am »
right i have decided i really do need to build proper housing for my sheep
i am thinking of trying to make a multi purpose unit where it would be one large open front house for most of the year but then i would have a divider that could slide in to split it into 2 separate pens and then doors that i can just drop onto hinges on either end so that for lambing i could split it into 2 pens and put 1 ewe and her lambs into each pen and then just drop the door on to shut them in

does this sound feasible? any other features i should try to add? i was thinking if fitting either 1 or 2 bolt in eyes like these for lifting with a tractor loader

what should i make the roof out of? steel corrugated sheet or marine plywood covered with roofing felt? and the sides/walls? T&G, weather boarding, what else?
it will be a basic softwood frame construction clad with either T&G or weather boarding as suggested unless you lot come up with something better
Cheers Ed
P.S oh and if it is of any relevance i was thinking of a single pitch roof

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: sheep housing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
Yorkshire boarding defo.   Just be careful with your pens that they have slatted sides n slatted door, obvs with lamb proof gaps but so plenty of air flow. I wouldn't have them all solid personally x

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:08 am »
I'd have the bottom part solid and the top slatted.
A basic three sides and divide with hurdles as you need to.  Make sure it's multiples of 6' to fit hurdles.
And twice the size you think you need now. ;)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:06 am »
I am also looking to do something similar.
Following a recent fox vs chicken incident, it has got me thinking- should the lambing pens be 'fox-proof'. The shelter I am hoping to build is slightly away from the house, in the same field from which the fox took the chickens  :thinking:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

a rough plan for an end frame
i would make 2 of these and then connect them with timbers running the length of the building and then clad and roof it
does it look big enough and suitable? all measurements in mm BTW
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:07:09 pm »
just spotted a error on my half!
1000mm up to cross beam and then 500m from cross beam to top of roof so bringing the front of the building up to 1500mm in total
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »
Yorkshire cladding, horizontal or vertical?
t&g or weather board? or is it simply a case of price?
Cheers Ed

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:52 pm »
If this is for lambing you'll need to be able to stand in it.  Unless my conversion is wrong that looks very low.
Can't do mm.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:33 pm »
1500 is 5ft, i think i'd want 6ft minimum so i could hide from the bad weather as well!!!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »
Consider onduline for the roof. A good cheap material which will last for years if fitted well. Also a good bit quieter in rain / hail than steel or hard plastic. It's very easy to work with as well.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:12 pm »
height is ok for what i need it for as it it more of a shelter for sheep more than anything and any tending to sheep or mucking out etc i can do on my knees as that is what i am used to anyway. i don't want it too high anyway as i need to be able to lift it with the tractor loader

just had a look at onduline but can't find it anywhere closer than about 115 miles from me :(
Cheers Ed

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:27:54 pm »
Onduline is a brand of "bituminous corrugated roofing material" - try searching for that ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:14 pm »
awesome thanks @sallyintnorth
is this the sort of stuff?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Black-Corrugated-Bitumen-Sheet-950x2000mm/p/240039
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:37:52 pm »
does this stuff not stand up to the elements or sun as well?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-Clear-Corrugated-Sheet-660x3000mm/p/240154

any other reason i can't use that?
Cheers Ed

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:00 pm »
A metre high at the front.. that's low even for crawling into. And under 5 foot deep, possibly less if that's an external measure.

I'd suggest you pop along to some garden centre or large B&Q and look at some kennels, garden sheds etc with a tape measure in your pocket to get a realistic idea of sizes.

There's usually a need to get into these things at some stage for repairs or cleaning

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS