Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone free to help me get my sheep to the ring?  (Read 7600 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Is anyone free to help me get my sheep to the ring?
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »

We have just downloaded the Festival entry forms and have decided to give it a go this year.  However, at the last show a few weeks ago, where I was judging, I collapsed big time  :tired:, so I need to be careful what I do this time around.  Mr F and I would like to show 2 mature tups, so obviously in the same class.  I would be so grateful if someone, preferably someone who is familiar with handling livestock, and tups with giant horns in particular, could spare a while just to be around and help me handle one for the duration of the class.  It would just be a hand with moving to and from the pen, then catching up once they've finished running free in the ring.
We will take ewes and maybe also a lamb or two but perhaps I can manage those or we will have only one per class.  In the ring I'll be fine when they are just standing.

I do hope a very kind person would be able to help (I feel very pathetic asking  :-[)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Is anyone free to help me get my sheep to the ring?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:25:31 pm »
I'd help like a shot if I was going to be there - but I'm afraid I'll be Absent Friends this year.

Good luck with the showing! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »
I'd help like a shot if I was going to be there - but I'm afraid I'll be Absent Friends this year.

Good luck with the showing!

I know you would Sally  :wave:  Thank you, and we'll miss seeing you there.
It looks as if we'll only be able to enter one animal per class so Mr F can do the actual showing  :(   How to choose?   :sheep: :sheep:

kim

• Joined Jun 2012
  • dundee angus
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
I am going with only 2goat kids and 2 handlers this year,l would be more than willing to give you a help.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:26:18 am »

Oh Kim that is so kind.  I would really appreciate it.  What time is your kid class?   If they don't coincide then that would mean we could take both big tups  ;D ;D ;D :yippee:  Thank you thank you  :sunshine:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:00:19 am »
Wish I could offer to help but I am taking sheep too. 

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:12 am »
I will be around and I'm not taking any livestock so I am pretty sure I could give a hand if needed. Not sure about those horns though!
Simon

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
I've got some rubber demijohn bungs you can borrow   :roflanim: -and i'll man the CSSA stand while you help with the sheeps. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:48:42 am »
Hi Fleecewife - I'll have sheep too but I'm not entering a ram as he's just been sold - no objection to horns so I can help, if you need me  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

kim

• Joined Jun 2012
  • dundee angus
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:17 pm »
Why don't we all meet up early and decide who is doing what.Claire I hope you are bringing Pygmys.Fleecewife,i don't know what time the pigmy are in but I'm not showing them anyway.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »

Sounds like it should be fun - we can have a party  :celebrate: :celebrate:

Every little bit of help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all for offering

We will be at our sheep pens from ..... I think it's 0845 the sheep need to be in - GM & SJ Johnston will probably be written on the pen, and you'll see the horny black sheep in there, so we can have a confab.  The horns are not such a great problem, and they're good boys, just terrified by all the noise, the crush of people and surroundings totally different from their usual quiet fields.  Although they're not shown on the halter, we have got them used to one to help with the moving, and so they don't bolt out the door and head off home  :hugsheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS