Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fishing trip Scotland help please  (Read 10315 times)

sandy

Re: Fishing trip Scotland help please
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »
My osn in law wants to shoot around here and that seems to be hard enough...fishing is easier, wherever we go with the dogs there are loads of fishermen and women.....how nice to sit with a packed lunch, a few beers or for me (whiskey) and stunny views + a nice tea to look forward to.....

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:20 pm »
lol... well I can't stand fish tinned or fresh ( although I do like tinned pilchards in tomato sauce , with toast  :o) , but I didn't say I  eat the crap !!!
 Talking of kilts, do you know why Scotsmen wear kilts ?  so the sheep don't hear the zip undoooo... but us locals in Wales, have these strange things we tend to wear... they are called trousers.... not really into gender bending and the wearing of skirts myself !!!! but hey ho, what ever turns you on !!
 Who broke my glass ? which glass when ..? Bring anyone round here mate .. just watch out for the fuzzy wuzzies.....they don't like it up'em they don't , they don't like it up'em !!! You have been warned.... :o ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

sandy

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »
Russ? are you a true Welsh man? Kev? where are you from?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
There you are then, stay in Sandy & Steve's B & B, and 6 lochs to fish for brown and rainbow trout, and salmon in the Devon. (I have to warn you it's nickname is The Black Devon, although I haven't yet ascertained why! ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 12:07:25 am »
Or,,,,,you could take a trip to Glen Clova in Angus and stay in the Glen Clova Hotel, fish for salmon, go deer stalking and shoot some pheasants!! Might be expensive though, the foods really good and they have a great bar!!!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 12:20:06 am »
no Sandy , not from Wales originally. My parents were from Stonebridge and Acton in London , and as my dad was in the army I was born in Catterick army hospital . But I then spent the next few years between Yorkshire , Chelsea and Germany , till I was 5 then lived the next 15 years in Ruislip (near Southall ) , right next to Northolt airport ( which is where they bought Diana PoW's body back to England , when she died.) My house was about 400 yards from where the plane stopped round the back of the airport . Northolt airport was one of my playgrounds as a kid . I used to climb over the fence and play in the old airplanes they had there , and in the old WW2 tower that was still there then , looks to have gone now though .  I used to get arrested regularly by the RAF police and taken into the guard room where they would give me tea and biscuits...the reason I got on ok with them was during the war my granddad was a guard there . He was already in his mid 60's ish then , and he was known as pop Russell . They still had pictures up on the wall of him, in the guard room and in other places around the camp . Funny that he should work there in the war while he was living in Acton , and that the estate where I was to grow up was still fields !!
 I came to Wales though when I was 20 in 1977 . Mum and Dad moved here with all the kids , 7 of us , but I was only going to stay till they had settled in , and then go back to Rayner's lane where I had a flat over a greengrocers shop !!! But that all went tits up and I am still here...lol
 So now you know ....

cheers

Russ

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 12:35:24 am »
if you wished to, as you travel up to scotland, I could organise a day or two on the finest salmon river wholly in england; the Tyne.

Ian

sandy

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:00 am »
Hope I didn't sound rude Russ, just interested, my mum was born in North Wales, her parents were from Scotland but now I seem to have loads of Welsh relatives...hard to trace as they are either Jones or Griffith's, altough there are also loads of Prydes and McHales too, so I know how proud the Welsh are of their heritage, just like the Scots and the Irish, it's just us English that do not seem to be so proud, maybe because we are all mongrel's, mixed with other cultures......Oh dear, hope I have not insulted anyone, all with good intentions. One thing I learnt from working closely with families from other cultures...we all are built the same with the same needs and the same desires......same difference!! Oh no not X Factor..xx

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:25 am »
Hi Sandy, Born in Southall. I spent my first 18 years there, and then we moved to Berkshire. After that I moved with my work to many places, finally ending up in Belgium 15 years ago.

I am going to have a good look at these locations mentioned for fishing over the weekend, thanks everyone.

Kevin

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 12:51:22 pm »
nope didn't sound rude at all Sandy ...no probs at all ...
 Likewise the joke about the Scots and kilts ... no offence meant it is just a joke ,  I have no problem with kilts or the wearing of , I just have a sad, sick sense of humour. But I don't like fish ...that bit I did mean ...yuk yuk, puke puke ....

cheers

Russ

sandy

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »
We love fish,  must  be one of the quickest food to cook. I was walking around Gartmorn Dam with the dogs and saw a fisherman in  all the appropriate posh gear, he was packing up so I asked if he had caught anything...he had a beautiful Brown Trout and gave it to me..he too did not like fish....we also had a guest that went fishing and gave me his Brown  Trout ...so meaty and very tasty. We often walk around Pepper Mill Dam, thats next to Devilla Forest, we collect Berries and Herbs, you see loads of Pheasant's and Loads of fishermen you can also get Nuts so a good place to "shop" or harvest food for free. The Dam is next to/behind the once home of the Blackadders, Lord Edmund Blackadder, his family mausoleum is there is an overgrown cemetery...must take some photos.....the Police use the castle now!!!!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »
lots of salmon around us. the only problem is getting away from the fish farmers.

sandy

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »
Oh, forgot to say (1) we are very busy ALL year round with bookings for next year. (2) we have a BIG garage with a freezer for catches, a sink to prepare the gutted fish and we can let you cook it if you want + a large boiler room to dry your wet things.....and we are a Happy pair ;D ;D P.S..not touting for trade as we do OK  anyway!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS