Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ground  (Read 9227 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Ground
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:59 pm »
It is a constant job keeping the straw dry.  But I pull out the old straw and leave it on the ground outside the ark, which makes a bit of a 'carpet' for the pigs to walk over before getting in the ark.  Seems to keep a bit of the mud out....But by no means all of it! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »
smiffy I know what you mean! I have a sow who no matter how much straw I put in the ark she chews it up and fills it with mud ::) the others arent too bad but I am using a lot of straw now!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »
mud everywere were drowning in the stuff

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »
We are ok at present, piglets are ankle deep in the worst bits, plenty of dry area though.  Is there a praying smiley?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »
Lools like the Somme in the pig pen, and the goat & boar pen which we gravelled and slabbed is also a mud bath where the pig roots his corner then walks it all into the shed!
Need to something more to help the muddy chooks, it cant be fun can it?!
The water just isn't getting chance to drain before the next deluge comes...
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 09:17:50 pm »

Wasn't planning on having pigs at this time of year but had to take these two for friend, they are ankle deep in mud in places too, am trying to keep them in quite a small area just now as I had reseeded a lot of the pig pen . Means that I have to lift poo twice a day.Thank goodness for horse poo scoops.Ducks are loving it but hens are quite miserable.
Anne

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
I think i must be one of the lucky ones! Our ground drains really easily, its full of stones and has a stream at a lover level which seems to sap most of the moisture, we only have on sow that makes mess digging up the fields!
This time last year we were stuck in clay, many a lost welly back over there!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:01 am »
many a lost welly back over there

Now there's a thought a centre for single wellies; we may even get a pair eventually. ;D

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 04:47:42 pm »
You could call it 'The George Micheal Center for Single Wellies'.  I am sure it happened to him - well I can remember something about a bog!!! ;)
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:04 pm »
yes ..  :D.. I don't think it was single WELLIES he was after though ... :o ::) ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »
We are on clay, though high up and our pig pen was in such a state that we had, for pity, to let the porkers out into a two acre field. Enough, you may say, but no!! They have found a weak spot in the hedge and gone travelling twice in a week!
Thank God for good neighbours, who have taken them in each time. They are off sooner than planned!

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:07:55 pm »
Im having the same trouble, water water everywhere,
mine also escaped over the weekend , but that was mainly due to a stupid guy letting his 2 g.s.d's scare them,
they went off through the local estate and we now have to pay to get the nice lady who got them into her garden and phoned me, to get her lawn fixed
we have 2 and a half acres I would love to let them loose in it but there will be so many weak spots in the fencing its not worth the trouble,
Im hoping for a couple of hours to spare on sat or Sunday so i can let them out while keeping an eye on them
wish me luck
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 07:37:55 pm »
Good luck... and some electic fencing?!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS