Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ground  (Read 9229 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Ground
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:06:47 am »
Is everyones ground like a swamp at them moment, or is it just me?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Ground
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:12 am »
Nope mine too ::)  although it upsets me more than the pigs!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11:49 am »
Not too bad, but we are on the top of a hill and the wind tends to dry the mud. The porkers paddock was getting a bit muddy, so I've moved them into the bark yard - used to be for dieting ponies ! Will be interesting to see how it stands up to porker use  :pig: :pig:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:15:44 am by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:13:59 am »
Muddy here too  :(
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:49 am »
Same here my pigs are just about swimming round there pens

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:11 am »
We're getting it VERY WET !
Just as well I've no piggies at the minute or I'd be needing armbands for them ::)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:24 am »
I am having a break from pigs at the moment. As my ground has water running across it at the moment, like a pond at an angle, I am glad to be giving it a rest. I hope to put a layer of sand and wood chips on the really bad bits before i start again. I always end up with piggy soup about 6 inch deep which sucks your wellies in and allows the pigs to mug you before you can escape.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:24 am »
Oh yes The 'out of welly experience'!! had one of those already ;D

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:25:18 am »
Yup - tis mighty damp underfoot here too.  The River Teviot is looking a wee bit menacing. Piggies dont seem to be bothered - spending a lot of time snuggled up in their fab pad in the corner of the old walled garden. They are loving the mud - aren't they just the best things?  The geese are having a blast! One of my favourite bits of the day is when I go out in the morning - usually the sheep give out the alert that I'm about - then the geese start in anticipation of their release from their hut which in turn has the piggies up and out of their hidey-holes in a flash.  But the funniest thing is the "conversation" that always goes on in the corner at the fence between the geese and the pigs - who knows what that's all about - they have a right old blether to each other and it makes me laugh everytime - noisy as hell.  Think some sausages for the neighbours down in the cottages might be a good thing to make up for any disturbances. Anyway - think the geese are the least phased by the weather just now - their kind of thing I guess.  You all take care out there. N x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:47 am »
My chooks have developed webbed feet!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 10:42:23 am »
Is everyones ground like a swamp at them moment, or is it just me?
[/quote

It's not just you, our land is almost constantly under water, all but the few short summer months in the year,
It is hell on earth.
Pigtails

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:09 am »
Luckily we have room to bring in our pigs, and they still have access to fresh air and a little concrete yard
if they want to go out.  ( Don't want them getting phneumonia now - or foot rot standing in water all day! )  :o

Good job really, as this weather would wash them straight down the mountain into the lake!!  ::)

Apparently we almost live on an island - within Ireland.  We cannont get to Leitrim Village or Carrick-on-Shannon
because of all the cars abandoned in the floods on the roads.

The rain is promised to stay with us until mid next - week too, so get some arm bands for your pigs sausages.  ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:33:48 am »
Our feed trough for the sheep was floating this morning.

Stanley

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:10 am »
Terrible here too,

The mud has turned into a soup and is all gloopy.  Teh pigs dont seem to care at all but I hate it so hoping to move them out the weekend.  I would put them in the stable but its only 10' x 10' and it would drive them crazy!  

Remind me why I keep pigs over winter again.....................

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:52:16 pm »
some pens are bearing up better than others??? some are swampy others relativley ok. Pigs are loving it, its been so dry all summer since the rain they are nose down arse up digging to austrailia i think :o

I hate it, most of our arks have floors so pigs are off the ground, can anyone tell me how they keep the straw dry, i am spending most of the time dragging out wet straw and replacing it, no mean fete in a pig ark, bad back looming!!!! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS