Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese for protection  (Read 4840 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Geese for protection
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:12 am »
Hi,
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, which I think it might be....
We have recently started keeping livestock and have 3 very small Ouessant sheep and 2 pygmy goats, along with 4 very elderly chickens. We're also getting some Kune Kune piglets in a few weeks.
Last night when I was shutting the goats in for the night I heard foxes for the first time and am panicking now for the safety of our animals.
 We let the chickens free range all day, and shut them in safely when it gets dark, but I've recently been told by a neighbour that they've had chickens killed by foxes in the middle of the day.
I think I read somewhere that geese can be a good thing to have as they will scare foxes away with their honking (?) and if that's true I'd be happy to get some, although that means more housing and more expense...
Before I do anything I'd be very glad of some advice!
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Geese for protection
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
Foxes can take geese. However, think it depends on the birds and fox as my neighbours kept geese for years, but then the gander died - not a fox, and the geese were quickly taken by fox in the daytime.
I have a pair, I think they help as when they honk the dog goes to see what's going on and I hope that between them this is enough to scare fox away.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:55 am »
Thanks Steph Hen. So do you shut your geese in at night to keep them safe?
We want to get more chickens as ours are so old they hardly lay, but I don't want to do it when I know there are foxes so close.
I've also been told that it's good to keep alpacas to keep foxes away, but that's a whole other consideration!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:43:01 am »

Laurelrus - you are definetly a smallholder on a mission!!  :thumbsup:

I agree with Steph Hen - our geese were all fine and seemed to alert the dogs etc, until the gander had an unfortunate accident. Then the fox slowly dwindled the four girls down to nothing. Foxes also do kill any time of night or day.

Glad the fox had ours for lunch, never owned such a bunch of terrifying animals  ;D

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:02 am »
Yes I shut them away. They'd rather sleep out but are away.
How about a dog rather than an alpaca? Obviously there are many considerations to be made before getting a dog.

In spring my gander is horrible. I'm thinking of rehoming them because of it. I have a baby just now, and in a couple of years he will be wandering around. They also gang up on the dog when he's sleeping and he's bitten them a couple of times, so it's not a perfect set up. I figured I'll keep them through winter and maybe sell when goose comes into lay.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:56:34 am »
Steph Hen - we have two dogs, a Labrador and a miniature dachshund. It's the little one that's feisty and will chase anything away. She's great with the chickens, doesn't bother them although sometimes they peck her and she runs away from them. The Labrador is afraid of the chickens and is really dopey.
I'm really new to this smallholding life, and obviously over-anxious and need to relax a bit. My children are teenagers and so not vulnerable to being pecked although a very cheeky pygmy goat bit one on the knee and the other on the arm this week. They're learning that they have to show him they're above him in the pecking order so it's a learning curve for us all!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:01:38 am »
SophieLeeds - this is something I've wanted for more than ten years and now that we've finally got our 5 acres I'm making up for lost time!
My husband Andrew is finding it hard to keep up - he works in an office all week and then at weekends he's putting up fences, and gates and housing and he's out in the field with his new tools and discovering skills he never knew he had!
It's a big change for us but we're loving it.
The next decision is how can we make any money at all from this, just enough to cover feed costs or vet bills would be really helpful. I'm waking up in the middle of the night with ideas, most of them mad, but time will tell!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:33:08 am »
I recently got a trio of buff backed geese and so far I am delighted with them. They honk when crows appear so without a doubt the visiting crows have decreased in numbers, also haven't  had a visit from the neighbours killer cat. There honking alerts you to any unwanted visitors. So far are friendly enough with humans but if become feisty in spring will section them off. I put them in a 4 ft high wee shed that was originally a dog kennel.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:10 am »
My neighbour lost all 3 of his ducks in broad daylight despite them being in with his 6 geese... so I wouldn't count on them for protection.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »
What about Rhea?  ;D

Adults will make short work of a fox.

You can eat them, breed them, sell the eggs, young and feathers.

Oh and they eat weeds!!  :thumbsup:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »
Just get a proper dog lol.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:00:31 pm »
Do you think rhea would keep people away too?  Or would they be susceptible to being stolen?

My front paddock is very visible from the lane and I've had apples pinched, and eggs taken out of boxes and thrown around so i think it's mainly local kids.  Admittedly that was in previous years and i've not had the problem this year.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »

The next decision is how can we make any money at all from this, just enough to cover feed costs or vet bills would be really helpful. !

I think you need to be a bit more business like about what you have .... feeding old non laying hens is out if you want to cover costs ... as is having livestock just because you like them ......  direct egg and meat sales can work if you have a market.  How difficult will it be for you to cull older unproductive stock?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 07:35:33 pm »
We've lost quite a number of chickens this year in broad daylight and despite having a flock of 14 very alert and noisy Embden geese about the place. The geese will look after themselves but they really don't care about any other poultry you might have.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »
We had geese who were very noisy although it didn't bother us. The fox got them both though  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS