Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat kid - can I reintroduce bottle to make her eat?  (Read 6041 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Poorly goat kid - can I reintroduce bottle to make her eat?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 12:25:45 am »
 :hug: :hug: so sorry for your loss, I've had to deal with that particular emotion 3 times this week, 2 kids died and my favourite big Daisy diagnosed with Johne's Disease so I completely empathise with you  :bouquet:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »
So sorry to hear this, cuckoo.  :bouquet:  It's such a hard decision to have to make. Your daughter will obviously be upset but she will learn a valuable lesson about death from it.

FRH, you've had a horrible week, haven't you? Sorry you've had to cope with three deaths.  :bouquet:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:21 pm »
:hug: :hug: so sorry for your loss, I've had to deal with that particular emotion 3 times this week, 2 kids died and my favourite big Daisy diagnosed with Johne's Disease so I completely empathise with you  :bouquet:

So sorry to hear about your tough time too. It always seems worse when you feel you have fought hard for them  :hug:  :hug:

And  :hug:  :hug: to you too cuckoo.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughts - just shows we cant get complacent. Have had goats 6 years now and consider ourselves to be good goat keepers - it is often the simple things which get you.  Have lost several kids in last few weeks - vet thinks due to cocci or a gutworm which can manifest quickly as kids very anaemic and went downhill fast. This is despite me thinking these things were in hand. :(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »
Just seen this - so sorry for your loss.  Have had goats for 40 years, and two year ago I had an awful time with cocci in my goat kids ..... this year have reared 12 and all fine.  I did nothing different - just one of those things that hits us sometimes.  It is really upsetting though when it happens.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »
I think it's important to try not to feel guilty, which is easy to do. I still feel a bit bad that I couldn't get a breech kid out this year so she died. I'm just so glad I called the vet and he got there in time to save the next two who were also stuck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS