Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goat doesn't want his dinner  (Read 3994 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Pygmy goat doesn't want his dinner
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:05 pm »
Hi,
Every day (twice) we feed our two pygmy goats and they eat like they're starving. I've just gone out a bit early to give them their dinner, one is tucking in but the other one I completely disinterested which hasn't happened before.
Is this something I should worry about?
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Pygmy goat doesn't want his dinner
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »
How is he in himself? Is he still eating hay / grazing. I would keep a close eye as oing off feed could be first sign of something wrong.  If he is still eating hay / grass / browse I wouldn't' t worry too much if he is okay in himself and eating hard feed. Could try taking his temperature?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:55:22 pm »
Blimey, I'd be worried about my two pygmy wethers if they didn't eat, as you say, it seems to be what they live for.

Keep an eye on him - It certainly can be one of the first signs something's not right.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »
Thanks cuckoo and jaykay, I was really worried so I got the vet to come out.
Fortunately his temperature was normal, his heart and lungs were fine and although he was wider than usual I think his sides were soft and he didn't mind having them prodded.
She thinks it might be worms, so both him and his mate had a wormer injection. She also gave him a painkiller for his tummy ache.
She didn't seem concerned but I'm going to keep an eye on him and hope he feels better in the morning. At the moment both boys are sitting in their house looking very fed up, I think the experience was stressful but I hope that's all it was.
Thanks again
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:46 pm »
Worms would not really stop them eating, but rather produce loose stools and mucky bums.

As JK said it could be the start of many things - try and get him to eat by offering him a small amount of ivy leaves (no berries, but there aren't any at this time of year), maybe some toast or other titbits that he likes to eat. Also willow branches are good for painkilling (contain a natural form of aspirin), or other branches and greenery.

Are they on hay or haylage? The hay isn't mouldy or anything? Have you got any evergreen plants around - with the exception of ivy most of them are toxic but very appetising for goats.

Are your goats on a vaccination programme for clostridial diseases and pasteurella? If not please put them onto Lambivac (2ml twice 4 weeks apart, then 6-monthly boosters of 2ml) for the clostridial diseases (covers against enterotoxaemia - a very quick and painful death for any goat) and Ovipast for pasteurella (again 2ml 4 weeks apart, annual booster of 2ml). Injections under the skin - get someone to show you how, best done with two people as goats hate injections.

Hope that the wee man has by now sorted himself... :fc:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:22:28 pm »
Thanks Anke,
Now I'm really worried!  The vet was very reassuring but I hope she hasn't missed anything serious.
We've put them to bed for the night,  I'll see how he is in the morning and go fron there.
Thanks for all the recommendations and advice.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:51:51 am »
How is he this morning?

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:35 am »
Morning Anke,
He is much better this morning. He came out for his breakfast, although he didn't seem to be eating quite as voraciously as normal. He did have runny poo though. He is out now on his playground, standing on a tyre and very interested in what's going on around the field!
My husband suddenly thought late last night that perhaps some crab apple windfalls had landed in the field and Jasper had eaten some rotting apples. I went out first thing and there was one apple so whether he had eaten some I'm not sure, but that could have given him stomach ache.
I'm just off out to check on him again.
Also, I checked the paperwork from the breeder last night and he was vaccinated with Lambivac in June and wormed as well.
Thanks for your advice and concern, much appreciated

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:17 am »
Ah yes,.... overeating on apples may give him a touch of acidosis.

Good that he is vaccinated - as pygmies are pet goats it is often overlooked.

if he is only a pet, I would probably not feed him concentrate twice a day - he should be doing fine with lots of hay, some greenery and maybe a small handful of shreds, a few oats.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:43:08 am »
Thanks, Anke.
He does have runny poos today, could that be as a consequence of the wormer?
Also, what do you mean by shreds? At the moment they eat pygmy goat mix, they do get plenty of hay, there's nothing much in the way of greenery for them to find themselves in their paddock, what sort of things should we be putting in?
Thanks very much

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:34:10 pm »
Goats are browsers rather than grazers (sheep need grass), so freshly cut branches of things like willow, brambles, raspberries, hazel, some ash (can make them a bit runny), hung up in their run will keep them occupied and happy for a while. Thy will peel thee bark off, willow in particular. They also usually love rosebay willowherb

Cabbage leaves, carrot sticks, some apple slices, banana (incl the skin, but peeled off and fed separately) will also be good to give regularly.

I mean sugar beet shreds, as fed to horses. I always soak mine, just a dash of boiling water a few minutes before feeding time, and then add some rolled oats, topped with some of the veg mentioned above. A good source of fibre for cudding too.

I would be worried that these two may get too fat if they are kept as pets, so only a handful of goat mix maybe once a day - but in summer with grass, branches and veg at hand they would probably be ok without much added on.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »
Thanks, Anke, really helpful and I've printed it out!
We do offer them carrots, apple and bananas but haven't given them the branches. Good to know.
Just given the goat house a top to toe clean and sanitise as it's really warm today and I don't want the flies bothering them. Also Jasper now has a very clean and fluffy rear end!
They do have a lovely big paddock and we've made them a playground of logs and tyres which we're going to add to so hopefully they are happy.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 07:14:44 pm »
They sound like very well cared for goats  :thumbsup: Anke's given you some great advice re food and care. I'm glad he seems better, maybe he had given himself stomach ache with apples.

Mine think I am even more wonderful than usual if I cut them some tree branches. It's interesting what they like (too much ash or maple/sycamore can give them the runs). Their favourite is willow by a long way.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
thanks Jaykay. We are really fond of them! I'm really grateful for the advice I have received here, it's so helpful being new to goats (and sheep) and I'd be lost without this forum.
We'll be looking out for willow to give to Jasper and Jonny!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS