Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How not to keep pigs.. how many things can you spot that are wrong?  (Read 8100 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: How not to keep pigs.. how many things can you spot that are wrong?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:43:06 pm »

There is no excuse for it, I don’t care if the sow is lean and looses weight easily, there are ways and means of keeping the weight on most obviously increasing feed!

Totaly agree with that one!!!
My old spot sow, had 16 piglet on her first off which dwindled down to 10 by 3 weeks, she was in good condition (not fat!) and has stayed exactly the same all thru!! now weaned 2 days ago and has lost next to no weight!
I also have tbred horses which are known for loosing weight, also never had a problem!!
Pleanty of feed is all it takes

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 02:51:24 pm »
dont mean to put a fly in the ointment, but i have seen pigs in much worse condition than this, they were eating a carcas!!. I reported them to RSPCA, who in turn said it wasnt their issue it was animal health. AH inspected and said they had food and water when they got their and no sign of a dead pig so nothing they could do. I did upset her and asked why it had taken almost two weeks for them to inspect, of course the dead pig would be digested by then!!!!!!!!!

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »
I am no pig expert but looking at the photos that you guys have put on the website, this poor thing is in a shocking state.  Ground is bare and dry and she is a bag of bones AND they are trying to sell her!!!  Poor baby.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 04:27:58 pm »
If this is a genuinely starved animal why is no one ringing the RSPCA or animal health - there are photos after all.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 05:12:40 pm »
If this is a genuinely starved animal why is no one ringing the RSPCA or animal health - there are photos after all.

I showed this picture to my friend yesterday who is Animal Health Officer with my local Council, she thought the picture distressing and was going to mention this to someone she knows in that area. If there is no neglect then there is nothing to worry about, if there is we all know we did something to help the poor animal. So, better to report it I think.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »
I also did my good deed and emailed with link yesterday  :pig:

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 07:01:53 pm »
HM, sorry if I sounded like I was having ago at you in my previous post, I wasn't. Looking back my post may have come across as if it was aimed at you which it wasn't!  ;)

The issue's in picture isn't just about the sow looking extremly under weight, it's the bad practice you can clearly see going on, and you can see all those pigs are paying the price. Just take a look at those piglets.

A sow and litter should not be mixed with a boar and weaners of different ages - its a recipe for disaster.

Hm interms of your sow, have you tried giving the piglets a crep feeder where mum cannot get too, (which always has feed for the young ones) then feed the sow away from the piglets to maximise the feed in take of the sow? I don't know if you do already, but I would stick her on a finisher diet, as high in protien as you can get your hands on.
I would also wean early around 6 weeks dependant on her condition at the time.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 09:49:15 am »
Hi Billy thanks for your kind reply.  Yes have tried these things. 

I do agree with all that has been said regarding the sow.  It breaks me up to see animals in poor condition.  I am probably a bit prickly as have been involved in helping to "rescue" starving animals from a serial animal abuser.  Sometimes the bureaucracy here can be very frustrating, especially when animals are involved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS