Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How not to keep pigs.. how many things can you spot that are wrong?  (Read 8101 times)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: How not to keep pigs.. how many things can you spot that are wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »
Yes, can see what you mean - that Sow is extremely thin.

Would be tempted to buy them if I lived over there just to rescue the poor sow.
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »
Yes lack of feed and too many weaners suckling i think! Did you notice the larger weaner stood behind the sow? No doubt that still having a suckle!

No to mention the boar stood next to her no wonder shes in shocking condition!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
Criminal condition

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:11:16 am »
Absolutely awful! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:35:50 am »
It's amazing that this person thinks THESE pictures will tempt people to buy the piglets - more chance of reporting them to SSPCA looking at the condition of mum  >:(

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:24 am »
Thats shocking! it brought a tear to my eye, how can people let there animals get like that!  :'( >:(

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:12 am »
Terrible  :o  :'(

Is there no-one near to these poor pigs, that could go for a viewing and have a word with the SSPCA and/or Animal Health Dept ?
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
The only person I see on the 'members map' is Greenfingers - but they've not been here in a while, don't know if there's anyone else ?
Maybe a wee email to the SSPCA  ??? (or if we all do it - they'll definately have to take notice !)
http://www.scottishspca.org/contactHere's the contact email for the SSPCA.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:31:09 pm by HappyHippy »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:38:12 pm »
I feed my sow Daisy and her 6 piglets 12 kilos of commercial pig nuts per day, and have never fed less than 8 kilos per day since their birth 6 weeks ago.  She looks like a toast rack.  I would wean her except that she will not let them go yet.  I know from experience that once she allows them to be weaned (probably 10 weeks) she will quickly put on weight, to the point where she will become a butterball in around 3 months time.  She only has one litter a year, it amazes me that she can get pregnant as when she goes to the boar she is well overweight.  She carries her weight through until the piglets are around 4 weeks old.  After 10 weeks Daisy looks like a skeleton.  It may be the same in this case.  It is agonisingly embarrassing as we pride ourselves on the condition of all of our animals. 

It may just be the same here.  I hope so. 

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:10 pm »
HM, I understand that some sows are more inclined to loosing weight than others but lets look at the fact presented in the picture:

And by the way, what do you mean when your sows ready to let them go arnt you surposed to make call if you have too?

There is no excuse for it, I don’t care if the sow is lean and looses weight easily, there are ways and means of keeping the weight on most obviously increasing feed!

Lets look at the facts in the picture - one sow looking extremely thin, several piglets which don’t look much cop, a weaner (stood behind the sow) that looks at least twice the age of the piglets and a boar... all in the same pen.. So you can guess what is happening, the older weaner is still suckling pushing the piglets out, the boars and the piglets are stealing all the food, the sow is thin and getting weaker and she probably already back in pig!

Its no wonder these pigs look in such a poor state and to top it off there sleeping in an old trailer that looks like its going to fall over at any minute!

How can anyone defend husbandry as bad as this!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:48:55 am »
Billy I was attempting to be devils advocate.  Regarding my own sow, I would happily accept your suggestions to keeping weight on her. 

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:55:42 am »
let's just hope the picture is misleading and the girl is just feeding her own litter and is getting her proper nutrition. The owner of these pigs may have seen the postings and be cringing with embarassment, while sorting things out sharpish. people make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them before harm is done.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:09:23 am »
I wonder if anyone has rung the advertiser since this had been posted here and RC, I wonder if you have Billyberridge??

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:39 am »
All very critical comments here, have any of you bothered to contact the seller?
All sows lose weight after giving birth, it always takes a while for them to regain their plumpness,
and more so in the rarer breeds.

Although, it is agreed that this picture may not have been the best picture to advertise a sale, I have seen pigs kept in far worse conditions than these appear to be.

Pigtails

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS