Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Impacted Crop Solutions  (Read 7917 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Impacted Crop Solutions
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 11:05:58 am »
thre is no need to apologize you did what you needed to do. i just feel your all very brave for doing it. please dont humanize them. if its a dead easy op then the vet is charging a lot we only paid just over a 100 for gelding a horse.

lets face it either they have this op or you kill them im sure they would prefer the op if they knew the options.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 07:10:25 pm »
Hear hear Shetlandpaul.
OH had been known to kill a chicken without anaesthetic (for eating) although he may have had a shot of whisky first, for courage.
In my youth I worked as a veterinary nurse for a year and believe you me, vets inflict pain in the name of healing.
One of the decisions we all have to take and retake is how much we get the vet involved knowing that it is going to cost us an arm and a leg. I hate to think what the op would have cost and I know that OH would never let me have chooks if he thought we were going to run up mega vets bills. Personally I have made peace with the idea that if I can't heal them then they get planted under a tree. Everyone has to work out their own thing - in an intelligent informed and humane context (of course)
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »
My thoughts exactly, Kirsty.  I have practised non invasive surgery on a chicken before now - washed out the membrane under a torn down wing, squirted in antiseptic cream, wrapped a crepe bandage round and left fro 10 days to heal.  That worked fine and cost very little.  I'm sure teh hen was in pain at the time - she squawked enough anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 07:04:36 am »
its a bit bizarre how this has gone from me looking for ideas on dealing with an impacted crop (not many offered) to random posts on everyones surgical skills ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 07:54:53 am »
i thought you had been answered oil and massage. if that does not work and its sour crop the cleaning it out. or culling the hen.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »
I am not very good with this technology. Of course its months since I operated on my chicken but I wasn't sure how to lift the original post and put it on the currant one. sorry. however I should tell you that I have operated on two chickens, both of whom are alive and kicking. I don't feel the need to apologise for my actions and would do the same tomorrow if the need arose, so this will be my last comment on the matter.

Sheila, if you look at the icons above when you open a message to make a post you will see a little yellow square with lines on it and a wee tail - that is the quote box.  So you can either click on the word 'quote' at the top of every post as I have just done for this one, or if you want to quote just a line or a whole post from another thread then highlight and copy it (ctrl C) then open a message and click on the icon then paste between the two words 'quote'  as I have done below.  Hope that helps?
I am not very good with this technology. Of course its months since I operated on my chicken but I wasn't sure how to lift the original post and put it on the currant one. sorry. however I should tell you that I have operated on two chickens, both of whom are alive and kicking. I don't feel the need to apologise for my actions and would do the same tomorrow if the need arose, so this will be my last comment on the matter.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 07:48:31 pm »
I'm trying I really am! (my husband agrees!)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 07:50:41 pm »
I think I may have cracked it! Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 09:12:20 pm »
I think she's got it! By George, she's got it!  :o :o ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS