Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Impacted Crop Solutions  (Read 7916 times)

Wellieboots

Impacted Crop Solutions
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:10:01 pm »
Hello folks

One of my Black Rocks is absolutely tickitie-boo in all aspects except that I think she has an impacted crop. It obviously looks larger than the other birds, sometimes like she has swallowed a golf ball & then some. It has a "gel" like feel near the base which is at odds to all the other birds, so what is the solution? ???

I've tried the olive oil thing which hasn't had much success, in fact none. She eats like a horse, runs all over the place, still lays but it obviously isn't right. I'm tempted to leave her be but then my concern is the poss. of it developing into sour crop & the complications there in.

Anyone got any other devious means of dealing with an impacted crop...if that is what it is? :-\

Supa cheers

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Impacted Crop Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:22:59 pm »
What type of grit do you give them?
Mixed?  Oyster? Limestone (Calcium carbonate)?
And do you know if this one actually eats it?!
Little Blue

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:56 pm »
Oyster shell is available & as they free-range over a good acre plus of fields I am pretty sure they eat other grit etc. Can't confirm the problem one does eat the shell, but it is definately eaten.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:23:22 pm »
maybe try a  mixed grit so they get a variety of sizes?
Dont know of a solution other than the olive oil, sorry!
Is there alot of long grass, cos that can sometimes kind of bunch up as they cant break it down
Little Blue

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »
After seeking advice I decided that my hen had "Sour Crop" so tried a number of things,none of which worked so I opted for surgery which my neighbour and I carried out in the garage. With a scalpel I cut a three inch slice into her crop. What we removed was remarkable! At least two pounds in weight of matted long strings of grass and other rubbish. We then tried to superglue the wound together but it wouldn't stick so I ended up stitching it up with purple sewing cotton. The hen seems chirpier then we have seen her for a long time although I have had to fashion a collar( something like you see dogs wearing when they come from the vets) to stop her pecking at the wound!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
You are a brave lady. I hope all ends well and your chook makes a perfect recovery :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:04:03 pm »
Sheila, I take my hat off to you!  I can do lots of things but I don't think I could cut into a living animal. What a brilliant thing to do - I hope she regains full health very quickly!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:10:24 pm »
Folks, yer nae helpin so to speak...Random surgery isn't the route as its an impacted crop not a sour crop. Although it could develop into one. Personally I'd kill the chicken rather than subject them to surgery without anethesia (major sp!). Would you like such surgery.....?

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:54:16 pm »
Wellieboots. I assure you that the chicken never squawked nor struggled when we operated on it. Within minutes she was running around and within days she was as fit and healthy as me. One week later she was back laying eggs and still runs to me when I call so she has no bad memories. It's no good attributing human emotions and feelings to chickens as their whole being is different to ours. There was a chicken in America that lived for 10 years after having it's head chopped off!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:13 pm »
are we allowed. do you spray with antibiotic/ inject. i would have thought there was a good chance of infection. sounds intresting but i think the wife will be doing it. i always end up with extra bits when fixing things.

Wellieboots

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 04:05:49 pm »
No human emotions being attirbuted, just a logical observation that to operate without anaethesitic on a warm blooded animal with a nervous system will hurt. By stating that it didn't squawk nor struggle seems to me that you are attributing human reactions to it. I'd say backyard butchery rather than surgery.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 04:32:46 pm »
How do you explain the fact that the chicken is alive and well and laying eggs like a good 'un? If you look at the anatomy of a chicken you will see that there are no major organs in the chest area and I genuinely believe that she didn't feel any pain. I would sooner cut my arm off then cause pain to any animal. I think I have saved her life. you on the other hand would have probably put her down?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 06:01:03 pm »
I must admit to being puzzled on teh timescale of all this.

17th November post
One of my Black Rocks is absolutely tickitie-boo in all aspects except that I think she has an impacted crop. It obviously looks larger than the other birds, sometimes like she has swallowed a golf ball & then some. It has a "gel" like feel near the base which is at odds to all the other birds, so what is the solution

19th November post
After seeking advice I decided that my hen had "Sour Crop" so tried a number of things,none of which worked so I opted for surgery which my neighbour and I carried out in the garage

19th November post 
Wellieboots. I assure you that the chicken never squawked nor struggled when we operated on it. Within minutes she was running around and within days she was as fit and healthy as me. One week later she was back laying eggs and still runs to me when I call so she has no bad memories

21st November post
How do you explain the fact that the chicken is alive and well and laying eggs like a good 'un

By my reckoning there are only 4 days from beginning to end of this story - not a week or more as suggested.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:03:46 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »
diffrent pain levels. with the lamb with the broken leg the vet moved it and it swung about but it did not bleat or make a noise. was it in pain of course it was. why did it not struggle or make a noise because its instinctive to remain quite. the more noise the more chance of being eaten. if this was the chickens only chance then well done for saving her but she would have hurt. how much who can say. its you chuck and your responsability.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 09:57:20 am »
I am not very good with this technology. Of course its months since I operated on my chicken but I wasn't sure how to lift the original post and put it on the currant one. sorry. however I should tell you that I have operated on two chickens, both of whom are alive and kicking. I don't feel the need to apologise for my actions and would do the same tomorrow if the need arose, so this will be my last comment on the matter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS